Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

5 WEEKS VIETNAM & MAYBE BKK, KO SAMET OR PHU QUOK?? NEED HELP

• paulascott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2006

Hi,
    Looking for advice & suggestions. Had 4 brilliant weeks with family backpacking Thailand last March and the trip was so memorable due to all the suggestions & advice of this forum - so thanks all.
    Now I'm planning 5 weeks with 2 kids in tow again, this time flying in July 09 into HCMC. Like the sounds of Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Halong Bay, Sapa & Hoi An. But also include the Mekong Delta, but not on a tour as such (so advice needed here). Does anyone have any suggestions for an itinerary/route that is budget efficient also (flying from Aussie). Willing to fly a few internal routes if they are cheap enough for the family of 4. We are probably "budget to flashpackers" I have been researching all the forums, but getting more & more confused!!- Need guidance!. Open to a little overland to Cambodia also, but don't want the trip to be too rushed.
    So can anyone out there help with this???? Many thanks!

#1 Posted: 24/6/2008 - 10:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Welcome back!

There's loads of possibilities -- here's one to get you started.

Saigon - Vinh Long 2 nights, homestay on the river
    Vinh Long - Can Tho 1-2 nights, floating markets
    Can Tho - Rach Gia 1 night then ferry to Phu Quoc
    Phu Quoc Island 5 nights then ferry back to mainland
    Rach Gia - Kep stay 2 nights(overland into Cambodia -- read this story backwards to see how to do it)
    Kep - Kampot 2 nights
    Kampot - Phnom Penh 3 nights
    Phnom Penh - Saigon.

So that's the first loop done in 2.5-3 weeks.

With the remainder, I'd say train to Nha Trang and on again to Hoi An (you need to alight at Da Nang but it's straightforward to get to Hoi An from there)

After Hoi An, back to Da Nang and fly to Hanoi and use that as a base for Sapa and Ha Long Bay -- you could cover all that in two weeks.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 25/6/2008 - 07:15

• paulascott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2006

Thanks so much Somtam, I'll look into your suggestions, sounds quite good, not too rushed you think??

#3 Posted: 25/6/2008 - 08:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.