Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam leg! first time traveller!

• ee104

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2008

I was hoping there was a vietnam expert floating around who had a spare 5 mins to help me out!! I have a plan below - but i am a little bit unsure of where to head in Vietnam- please let me know if there are any gems i have missed?

I am very grateful!!!! :)

Vietnam 14 days (approx- not strict)
    **fly to Hanoi £80 from Loas

Hanoi to Halong Bay, night on boat?

Back to Hanoi

**This leg of the route i am unsure of?
    Fly Hanoi to Hue (----- OR fly to Da Nang – skip Hoi An and Hue) ooor night trian or bus- what would you recommend? We would also like to see Nimh Binh so perhaps a bus would be best?

Bus from Hue to Hoi An
    Taxi to Da Nang – cost 10$
    Da Nang – night train to Nha trang
    Night train Nha trang – HCMC

#1 Posted: 24/6/2008 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In Vietnam I'd almost always recommend taking the train over long distance bus.

You've got your geo a little mixed up. Heading south the town order is Hue/Da Nang/Hoi An -- not Hue/Hoi An/Da Nang.

You could do something like:
    Hanoi - bus to Ninh Binh
    then o/night train to Hue, then again train to Da Nang (it's a short but very beautiful leg). then minibus/taxi to Hoi An then back again for the night train to Nha Trang and onwards to Saigon.

However you're covering a lot in 14 days. I'd suggest skipping Ninh Binh if time is tight.

#2 Posted: 25/6/2008 - 07:33

• sunshine87

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2008

Can you get an overnight train direct from Hanoi to Hue? Then I want to stop at a few places from Hue to Saigon before leaving for Cambodia...are there regular trains or buses along the coast? And do you just pay the driver or does it need to be pre brought?

Thanks!!

#3 Posted: 11/7/2008 - 17:39

• Travelindoc-
    hine

Click here to learn more about Travelindochine
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Sunshine,

Thanks for your post. From Hanoi to Hue you had better use train. overnight on train. depart from Hanoi at 23:00 arrive Hue 7:00 cost arround 600,000 VND
    Use bus is not safety for traveller to Hue from Hanoi, the road very dangerous. However you can book Hoang Long bus cost 650,000 VND, meals included

Have fun
    Travelindochine

#4 Posted: 11/7/2008 - 21:59

• goldilocks

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

Flying in most cases is cheaper than the train. Check out Jetstar. Hanoi to Danang, and Nha trang to HCM journey's. As for bus travel I would give it a miss unless you have nerves of steel!!

#5 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 06:36

• kongxh

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2008

I disagree with #4 and #5 that bus travel is dangerous. Yes, there are some companies/drivers who drive recklessly. However, i think it is a bit of a generalisation. My experiences with bus travel in vietnam have been largely positive in terms of safety.

For the Hanoi - Hue leg, if you're travelling by open bus, you can consider the Sinhcafe overnight sleeper. I think it will be your most comfortable bus trip ever! It costs in the region of 200000VND, unless prices have gone up again.

#6 Posted: 12/7/2008 - 23:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.