Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Accommodation in Ho Chi Minh

• natalie0001

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2008

I'm currently planning a trip to Vietnam and have so far managed to find some great places to stay for a good price in most places we're visiting. However, I'm finding Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi a bit more troublesome!
    Can anyone recommend some good, clean hotels they've stayed at recently, (2-3 stars up to about $55-$60US a night - less if possible) with a good, quiet location and a bit of character. (I've looked at places like the Continental and the Grand in Ho Chi Minh but these might be a bit beyond the reach of our budget.)
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I stayed at both of these places, and they are excellent:

Saigon - the Bich Duyen Hotel @ $25. in the Pham Ngu Lao area (book on hostelworld). This one fills up fast so the alternate is the Blue River Hotel.

Hanoi - the Gia Thinh Hotel @ $35. on Hang Bac in the Old Quarter - (book with Sunshine Hotels/Hanoi). Sunshine has several hotels of similar quality.
    I understand the Ritz is also very nice @ $25.

#2 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 11:47

• natalie0001

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2008

Thanks for your help daawgon - I'll have a look at both of those places : )

#3 Posted: 3/7/2008 - 16:57

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The PNL (Pham Ngu Lao) area is a bit of a tourist slum - even the Vietnamese think so and plans are in hand to start knocking sections down.

There are around 1000 hotels in HCMC so there is no lack of choice.

A better area is around 15 Le Thanh Ton in District 1 - in fact there are serviced apartments in that area, too.

Avoid PNL, please!

In Ha Noi the Old Quarter lives up to its name ... OLD. There are few new hotels there. You have a better choice /class of property at the opposite end of Hoan Kiem Lake.

This web site has detailed revues of hotels and hotel reservation sites have pictures.

Do NOT believe descriptions in hogtel res sites as they are usually self-described (they should all be selling real estate) and many of their glowing recommendations are posted by themselves.

These web sites are unreliable as they take your deposit and then send an e-mail to the hotel and assume their work is done and when you arrive you often find there is no room.

Who would you choose? A hotel with an e-mail order and a 10% discount or a customer at the desk with cash.

Offers of breakfast included often are no longer honoured with the fast rising inflation in VietNam (25% annually in May).

TravelIndochine YOU ARE A TOUT - this is not for free advertising or trolling for business.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 17:51

• hunter

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2008

I am looking for single room, budget $15 from Dec18-24 for a week. If not PNL where you hv Kim Hotel, where would you recommend ? I do not see any listing for this budget range in the Le Thanh ton area you mentioned.

I used to stay at Thang Long Hotel several years ago,
    it is now advertised from $25 ? Great location.

#5 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 21:46

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

You don't find a listing as it is known to locals.

PNL is really a slum, in all honesty.

How big is your group, Natalie? Post the info and I will suggest properties.

#6 Posted: 16/7/2008 - 06:06

• natalie0001

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2008

Hi Catba2, there's only two of us - my boyfriend and i.
    would you recommend us booking and paying for only one night in advance and then reassessing the situation once we arrive?
    thanks for the advice re.PNL and websites.

#7 Posted: 16/7/2008 - 06:33

• goldilocks

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

natalie,
    try looking at> hostelworld

#8 Posted: 17/7/2008 - 01:51

• pam80

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

Hanoi - Golden Sun Hotel in Hang Hanh street is reasonably priced (around $38 double) with very nice (if smallish) rooms, a decent breakfast included and very helpful staff, and the area is not as noisy as other parts of the Old Quarter. In addition some of the rooms (fith and sixth floor at the back) have views over the lake. I stayed there recently for about 4 nights and would go back again.
    HCMC - Van Trang Hotel in Bui Vien street is good value - clean, well kept, friendly, at about $15-20, but ask for a back room because this is a busy street full of hotels and tourists and motorbikes.

#9 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 09:57

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi all,

We booked a room in Bi Saigon hotel in HCMC, but we just saw that it is right in the tourist zone, full of hotels and western-like restaurants... Can anyone suggest a better area to stay, one with vietnamese people around and not so many tourists (even if not really in the city center)?

Cheers!

#10 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 01:37

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I stayed at a rather posh little place between the airport and the train station in Saigon - the new Ma Maison Boutique Hotel (a B&B). This place is 4* and was a real treat - pics on their site look exactly like the rooms. It's now 1 yr old and run by a friendly young woman, Natasha. If you want something special, not in a tourist area, and of a very high standard, this is the place. They will meet your plane or train. Nicest place I've stayed in Vietnam after 3 trips - excellent choice. Best breakfast in all of Vietnam too! Paid $45. in Nov '09

http://www.mamaison.vn

#11 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 00:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.