Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Bus Travel?

• DrTomPhD

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008

Hi all. I'll be making my asia debut this summer and I had a few questions about bus travel. I'll start out in Bangkok and will travel through cambodia to Hanoi and Fansipan. Here are my questions:

1. What is the fastest way to take the bus/train from bangkok to hanoi (and back)?

2. How much will this cost (1 way/round trip)?

3. How long does it take?

Thanks in advance, guys!

#1 Posted: 10/7/2008 - 09:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Dr Tom,

Overland from Bangkok to Hanoi is a long trip -- figure on the trip taking two to three days.

However, there's a bunch of different overland routes between the two cities, and would really need more info on what you had planned. If you don't know what you have planned, then the suggested itinerary section is probably a good place to start as it plots out some travel times etc.

If you're priority is speed, and you don't plan to stop along the way, then look into AirAsia's flights from Bangkok to Hanoi -- they can go for as little as US$40 one way.

#2 Posted: 10/7/2008 - 10:10

• DrTomPhD

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008

Wow thanks! How is AirAsia so cheap? How much do taxes generally add?

#3 Posted: 11/7/2008 - 00:44

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Forget the land route unless you in the pauper financial class!

AirAsia is definetly the only way to go. Besides, you might win a prize on the in-flight draws that occasionally include free flights.

REMEMBER: Get your VN visa BEFORE deporting for Ha Noi AND ON ARRIVAL in Ha Noi *DO NOT TELL ANYONE INVOLVED IN LAND TRANSPORT" where you are staying - just say you are meeting friends at Hoan Kiem Lake.

The VIETNAM AIRLINES SHUTTLE runs every 20 or 30 minutes and leaves you at Hoan Kiem lake for USD$2 - but don't tell them where you are staying either!

#4 Posted: 13/7/2008 - 13:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.