Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Beaches in Ho Chi Min?

• sophisticat-
    ions

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

Hi all,

I've checked online and found out that the closest beach to Ho Chi Min is Vung Tau?

What's the name of the beach (or beaches -if there is more than 1 beach, which is the nicest?)

How can I get there from Ho Chi Min city?

How much does it cost and how long is the journey?

Is it worth it to travel to vung tau just for the beach, and back to Ho chi min? (meaning not staying overnight at Vung Tau)

Is there anything else to do in Vung Tau, other than the beach?

Thank you in advance for your help! =)

#1 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 15:43

• Advertisement

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

You have correctly surmised there are no beaches in HCMC and Vubg Tau is little better as it is a harbour that services the oil drilling business.

The Vung Tau beaches are dirty, either facing the sea or the estuary, and used drug paraphanalia litter parts of the beach making even beach walking a risk.

Better beaches can be found at Phan Thiet or Mui Ne, 6 or 7 hours respectively by Mai Linh Express bus - which leave throughout the day, with a wide choice of activities.

The 'flying fish' boats leave hourly from the dock at the SaiGon River opposite Ham Nghi Street.

#2 Posted: 14/7/2008 - 18:46

• sophisticat-
    ions

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

Thank you CatBa2!

Meaning I should not attempt to go to Vung Tau at all? And if I want to go to the beach, I should go to the one at Phan Thiet or Mui Ne instead? Wow travelling 6 -7 hours just to go to the beach is pretty far! I heard Nha Trang has the best beach in Vietnam? How long does it take to go there?

Anywhere else in Ho chi min would you reconmend me to visit? I'm planning to visit Cu cui tunnel, Ben Thanh market and the pagodas.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 08:20

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Here's 2 options--can fly to Nga Trang very cheap, less than $40, using Pacific Air--great discount airline in Vietnam for most domestic destinations. Or, go to Phu Quoc Island by air from HCMC--paradise it is...

#4 Posted: 15/7/2008 - 19:39

• CatBa2

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

By all means visit Vung Tau - a USD$11 trip - but don't go expecting 'pristine beaches' as some lieing developer recently described the area.

Nha Trang is an hour from HCMC - the airport is actually in Cam Ranh Bay - 30 minutes from NT.

Domestic flights have stupid baggage weight restrictions which might affect your choice.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2008 - 06:12

• pam80

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

Vung Tau is worth a visit if just to clear the HCMC grime out of your lungs and get some fresh sea-air. It takes 1 hr and 15 min each way on the hydrofoil (you can book your seat in advance on the website www.greenlines.com.vn though the ticket issuers take little notice of this) and the views of the Saigon estuary/harbour and mangrove forests are interesting. From a distance the beach at VT looks ok and many people were using it when I was there. There is a massive Jesus-statue on the top of a hill nearby and a walk up to it offers great views of the surroundings.

#6 Posted: 25/7/2008 - 11:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.