Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Travelling during Tet

• corbie

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2008

Hi guys,

We are travelling through Vietnam this coming January during the Tet period which I have heard is a very busy time for travel. We arrive in Hanoi 6th Jan, then planning to head to Halong bay for a couple of days then make our way down the coast via train (with some stop overs) to Saigon, before we go to Cambodia. We have allowed approx 15 days for this (the Hanoi to Saigon leg, minus halong bay). Is this enough time?

Also any special tips for travlling during Tet period?

#1 Posted: 23/7/2008 - 04:39

• Advertisement

• goldilocks

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

In my opinion train travel will take up a good part of your holiday ,15 days is not long to travel the whole of the country.I wouuld suggest flying from city to city, this can be done quite cheaply flying on Jetstar.
    It would also pay to have hotels, and travel pre booked ,as Tet is the busiest time in Vietnam.

#2 Posted: 23/7/2008 - 06:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

During Tet, train reservations are recommended as far in advance as possible.

In 15 days, you could do something like Hanoi - Hue - Da Nang - Hoi An - Nha Trang - Ho Chi Minh City -- it's probably a little rushed, but it's a common route and many do it in two weeks without flying.

Of course, if you decide to fly, Jetstar is a pretty good option.

#3 Posted: 23/7/2008 - 16:55

• pam80

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

Tet itself in 2009 is on 26 January and the week or so before it will be extremely busy in all respects, not a good time to be on the road, then again very busy from about three or four days onwards after Tet. With 15 days in VN you will miss most of it but book train travel in advance.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 09:37

• corbie

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2008

Thanks everyone, helful advice. Sounds like taking a flight to cover part of the journey might be a good option. I have had a look on jetstar but there doesn't seem to be anything around the time, whether it is all booked out already (i hope not!)or the website is just not working properly i don't know. In terms of otehr airlines which fly domestic routes in Vietnam what would people reccommend? Also is there a way to book train fares in advance if you are not in Vietnam?

#5 Posted: 25/7/2008 - 06:47

• goldilocks

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2008

Corbie,
    The website is not out. They only seem to show flights up 2mths in advance.Try 2 to 3 monthsbefore you intend to travel.Train can not be booked online ,you will need an agent to do that for you . >>tnk travel is one of many.

#6 Posted: 26/7/2008 - 08:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.