Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Visa

• rsthomas

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2008

Greetings!

I was wondering if it is essential to aquire a visa prior to traveling into Vietnem. I am an American citizen, can I buy a visa upon entry?

I actually sent off the application and the money for a visa to the Vietnamese Consulate in Washington D.C. and they sent it back with no visa and no explanation why.

Any help on this matter would be great. I am traveling to Cambodia, Laos and Thailand as well. I heard you can get your visa upon entry for all of those countries.

Ross

#1 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 13:17

• Advertisement

• saigondave

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Visa on-arrival are available in Cambodia and Laos, but only for arrival through their respective international airports.

Visa_on_arrival in Vietnam must be pre-approved by VN immgration and can be arranged through local companies and agencies.

cheers

#2 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 14:48

• gromi1705

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2008

Try this one: http://visa.guidevietnam.com/
    It seems quite simple: You need to submit an online application and you will receive approval within a couple of days (24 hours if you pay the extra urgency charge). Costs are 25 USD per person getting cheaper if there are more of you. Then - on arrival you need to pay a stamping fee of 25USD. This is a lot cheaper than getting the Visa from the embassy at home.
    Would be interested on feedback if you did it that way. Good luck!

#3 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 20:02

• travellingt-
    om

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2008

When we went on our trip to Vietnam our agent Selective Asia (selectiveasia.com) booked our visa on arrival for us in Vietnam. It was a piece of cake to do, no need to send of your passport and can even be rushed through if needed (24 hours) making it ideal if you go at the last minute! We arrive at Hanoi airport, followed the signs to immigration and then as you come down the stairs before they check your passport there is the visa on arrival desk. By the time I got the visas the queue at immigartion had died down and the bags were just turning up so no time lost!

#4 Posted: 1/8/2008 - 22:55

• ngg18

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

I was just wondering if such a visa on arrival is also a possible option for arrival in HCMC?

#5 Posted: 6/8/2008 - 17:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.