Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Coc Ly market has moved

• Nywoman

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2008

Am sorely disapointed since I arrive in Lao Cai, from China on a Tuesday morning and leave Thursday night.

This is what I was told, that they are building up the reservoir for a hydro- power-station, and moved the market to the top of one mountain, hard to reach and quite boring.

Does anyone know if there are any other markets to see on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

#1 Posted: 28/7/2008 - 02:38

• Advertisement

• etulio

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2008

Hello, I have not been there yet, but I am compiling info for my trip in September, and I found:

Lung Khau Nhin Thursday Market is 100km from Sapa, ethnic market, very few tourists.

Tam Duong is 100km from Sapa, there's an ethnic market every Thursday.

Enjoy.

#2 Posted: 29/7/2008 - 17:50

• Nywoman

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2008

Thanks,
    Appreciate the information. how long are you going for and what other parts around Sapa are you visiting?

I am not a trekker, and am seriously considering hiring a driver/guide for my 3 days in the area. Am not sure if I should do it on the spot or beforehand.

#3 Posted: 29/7/2008 - 18:47

• etulio

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2008

I will be in Sapa 4 days (Thursday to Sunday) and actually my plan is rent a motorbike in Sapa (without driver) and spend 1.5 days in Sapa, doing easy trekings to nearby sites, and on Friday afternoon drive to Muong Khuong, Pha Long, Bac Ha and spend Saturday and Sunday visiting the markets in these towns, and on Sunday evening back to Hanoi by train.

#4 Posted: 29/7/2008 - 19:55

• AlyssaAnne

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2009

Hi there,

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows which Thursday markets are still a good option in January 2012?

Also wondering if anyone knows the logistics of getting to Topas Ecolodge from the Can Cau markets?

I'll be arriving with parents and teenage sister by overnight train on the Thursday and considering going straight to a market from Lao Cai and/or leaving it till the Saturday to get to Can Cau from an overnight stay in Bac Ha, but worried about how to then get back to Topas Ecolodge for that night.

The other option is going on a tour through Topas Travel.

If anyone has any ideas and some knowledge on transport between places in the region, that'd be fantastic.

I'm also interested in finding out whether anything much in Hue will be open on the 24th (the day following Tet?)

Cheers!
    Alyssa

#5 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 09:31

• lanvht

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have been there once during my Vietnam Package Tour and it is so sad because It was one of the best mountainous market in Vietnam

#6 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 16:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.