Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Best Travel Method in Vietnam/Cambodia

• SikeMo

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Hello,

I am planning a Vietnam/Cambodia trip for October-November and was wondering what the general consensus was on travel within the countries. We are starting in Ha Noi and then continuing on to the Hue area, Ho Chi Minh, and then to Phnom Penh. Is it generally better to take overnight trains or book flights? Should I book in advance or wait until we get there?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 03:53

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It depends on how much time you have. If you're looking at a short trip in Vietnam, then look at flying from Hanoi south, but otherwise train gets my vote. It's comfortable, interesting, affordable and a great way to see the country.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 07:20

• SikeMo

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

We will be there 14 days. Should we book trains beforehand or do it there? Are the rates typically the same? Also, which company do you recommend?

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 07:52

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Discount airlines--Pacific Air flys domestic Vietnam routes--don't miss Phu Quoc island in the far south. Can bus easily to Cambodia--visa at border, and see the big 3, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville (beaches), and Siem Reap (Angkor Wat temples). There, buses are fast and easy--just book prior day at any guesthouse.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 17:44

• mikeinconejo

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2008

"Can bus easily to Cambodia--visa at border, and see the big 3, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville (beaches), and Siem Reap (Angkor Wat temples). There, buses are fast and easy--just book prior day at any guesthouse."

This is what I would like to do. I will be flying from Manila to HCMC around the end of November. Staying there a week or so before heading to Bangkok. But I want to travel overland to get there.

I have looked all over the internet but can't find information about the buses to the trip. Can you point me in the right direction?

By the way, I am not a backpacker, 1 small suitcase and a backpack, and I have never stayed at a guesthouse. But I am on a budget, retired, stay at 2/3 star places, and plan on being on the road for a couple of months.

Thanks,

Mike

#5 Posted: 30/8/2008 - 10:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mike,

Direct buses run from Saigon to Phnom Penh -- the trip takes between six hours and the best part of a day, depending on delays at the border crossing. Cost varies depending on the operator, anywhere from $8-$20.

#6 Posted: 1/9/2008 - 07:20

• mikeinconejo

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2008

Thanks for the reply.
    Actually I guess I asked to soon and I should have just read more around this great site.

My trip is coming together now.

Mike

#7 Posted: 4/9/2008 - 04:22

• SikeMo

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Can anyone explain why the airfare is so expensive in this part of the world? A flight from Hanoi to Siem Reap is $270 USD. Is there some travel website that people use to get a better rate? Do people wait until they get to the country first?

#8 Posted: 4/9/2008 - 12:08

• rdavout

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

That's a fairly basic pricing strategy: only tourists find any interest in a Hanoi to Siem Reap flight, and tourists are usually rich Westerners... Some airfares can be way cheaper. All the same, please put the environment in the equation when you plan your trips.

Cheers

#9 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 01:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.