Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

which Country?

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

We have two weeks to travel in April.
    Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural.
    Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them.
    Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments?
    thanks

#1 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• macman1945

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2007

Hi let,
    Lete just say that the vietnamese have not yet adjusted to the tourist boom in their country and do not know how to handle it yet.With the interests you have mentioned you cannot miss hoian and hue. Just avoid spending too long in the hcm and hanoi.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 14:38

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Don't know where you people get your info, but personally, I've never met friendlier folks than the Vietnamese. No, it is not Disneyland, it has it's own domestic problem like most countries, but they treat us tourists very very well indeed. Hanoi happens to be one of my favorites, and I suggest to all that they hook up with Hanoikids - free guide service. I found it very difficult to imagine that we (I'm American) once fought them at war!

#3 Posted: 13/8/2008 - 23:33

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

The only problem I had was with the agressiveness of some of the street vendors. But I guess you have a few of those in all countries. Phu Quoc island was nice and relaxing if you want the beach for a while. Not to touristy..... YET!!!!!

#4 Posted: 14/8/2008 - 03:03

• rdavout

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

Go for Cambodia or Laos, trust me. Meeting people is easier in Cambodia because people are very gregarious while Laotians are more in the gentle indrawn type. Its a human choice at that point. To draw a rough picture, visiting a temple in Cambodia will almost inevitably lead you to spending ten minutes talking with monks, whereas in Laos you will nearly always be a silent observer...

Given your previous visit in Thailand, be aware that culturally, Laos is very similar to Isaan (NE Thailand). It wouldn't be more of the same though, far from it...

As for Vietnam... Non-ethnic Vietnamese are usually very open which is why bikers will tend to adore the country - the Kinh are at a minority in two-thirds of the country, in the remote parts... People from Hoi An are the only exception I found in 7 months in the country - they're mostly great folk. The rest, well, they live up to their reputation. Stay long enough and you'll experience it ALL. Two weeks is more of a bet, depending on how long you stay in HCMC and Hanoi.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 05:57

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I haven't been to Vietnam but northern Laos would fit the bill. Luang Prabang has lovely temples and there's beautiful mountain scenery around there too ... day treks if you want to visit some of the hill villages.

#6 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 12:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.