Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

which Country?

Posted by piglet44 on 13/8/2008 at 13:35

We have two weeks to travel in April.
Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural.
Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them.
Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments?
thanks

#1 piglet44 has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 20
 Website 

Posted by macman1945 on 13/8/2008 at 14:38

Hi let,
Lete just say that the vietnamese have not yet adjusted to the tourist boom in their country and do not know how to handle it yet.With the interests you have mentioned you cannot miss hoian and hue. Just avoid spending too long in the hcm and hanoi.

#2 macman1945 has been a member since 11/10/2007. Posts: 35

Posted by daawgon on 13/8/2008 at 23:33

Don't know where you people get your info, but personally, I've never met friendlier folks than the Vietnamese. No, it is not Disneyland, it has it's own domestic problem like most countries, but they treat us tourists very very well indeed. Hanoi happens to be one of my favorites, and I suggest to all that they hook up with Hanoikids - free guide service. I found it very difficult to imagine that we (I'm American) once fought them at war!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by neosho on 14/8/2008 at 03:03

The only problem I had was with the agressiveness of some of the street vendors. But I guess you have a few of those in all countries. Phu Quoc island was nice and relaxing if you want the beach for a while. Not to touristy..... YET!!!!!

#4 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by rdavout on 14/9/2008 at 05:57

Go for Cambodia or Laos, trust me. Meeting people is easier in Cambodia because people are very gregarious while Laotians are more in the gentle indrawn type. Its a human choice at that point. To draw a rough picture, visiting a temple in Cambodia will almost inevitably lead you to spending ten minutes talking with monks, whereas in Laos you will nearly always be a silent observer...

Given your previous visit in Thailand, be aware that culturally, Laos is very similar to Isaan (NE Thailand). It wouldn't be more of the same though, far from it...

As for Vietnam... Non-ethnic Vietnamese are usually very open which is why bikers will tend to adore the country - the Kinh are at a minority in two-thirds of the country, in the remote parts... People from Hoi An are the only exception I found in 7 months in the country - they're mostly great folk. The rest, well, they live up to their reputation. Stay long enough and you'll experience it ALL. Two weeks is more of a bet, depending on how long you stay in HCMC and Hanoi.

Cheers

#5 rdavout has been a member since 18/2/2008. Posts: 14

Posted by SBE on 14/9/2008 at 12:36

I haven't been to Vietnam but northern Laos would fit the bill. Luang Prabang has lovely temples and there's beautiful mountain scenery around there too ... day treks if you want to visit some of the hill villages.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.