Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Learning French In Vietnam

• suolib

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2008
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all

Can anyone help, Im an English guy 45 yrs and will be travelling to Vietnam Nov 2008 - Mar 2009 and whilst on my travels I need to learn French as next year (2009) i wil be living and working in the south of France.

Im happy to go to school or be taught privatley. also will french be widely spoken out there ?

I prefer to be in thew south of Vietnam any information will be greatly recieved. Your advice and assistance is appreciated

Regards Billy

#1 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 15:28

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I learnt French at the Alliance Francaise in Paris. One month there was WAY more useful than 6 years trying to learn French at school in the UK.

I did a total of three months was pretty fluent by the time I left (even though I was crap at French at school) and I'm now more or less bilingual. Native French speakers often think I'm French but can't quite place the accent. ;-)

Once you've got the basics I found watching TV and movies in French really helps a lot. It's a relatively painless way to learn correct grammar and pick up vocabulary, much better than trying to memorize vocabulary and grammar by rote and out of context. Plus with DVDs you can have the subtitles in French too so it might be worth bringing a computer or a DVD player with you.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an Alliance Francaise in Saigon but I just found a small ad site (in French unfortunately)which had lots of people offering lessons so there are definitely French speakers about. Maybe ask at the French consulate in Ho Chi Minh if they can recommend someone or tell you where to start looking for a teacher?

#2 Posted: 7/9/2008 - 18:06

• AandLtravel-
    ing

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Billy,

Can you let us know how you go finding some french teachers? we are looking at doing the very same thing in HCMC.
    Thanks

Andrew

#3 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 13:45

• rdavout

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

Hi,

Be aware that you will find very few local French speakers in VN. You will find most French speakers working either in the tourist industry or working in French companies and NGOs.

Fortunately for you there is an FR-VN institute in HCMC - the IDECAF. They offer classes at beginner level for English speakers... but a website in French and Vietnamese only :-/

http://www.idecaf.gov.vn/detail.php?lang=fr&id=1&conid=28&ndid=600&p=news

Try posting something over there if the lessons don't appeal to you. Another place would be at Fanny Ice Cream, where an "Amicale des Francophones" meets twice a week.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 14/9/2008 - 01:02

• malthoff

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've looked into it before though never followed anything through, despite being in HCMC now. A couple of addresses to add:

I visited teh Alliance Française in Bangkok and got a reasonable impression. Their standard books appear to be Reflets for Beginners/Elementary.

Of course, as said before, doing something in France is much better... Or start here (lower fees) and then go to France :)

Délégation Générale au Vietnam
    Alliance Française de Hanoï
    42 Phô Yêt Kiêu
    HANOI
    Tel: 84 (4) 826 69 70
    Fax: 84 (4) 826 69 77
    alli@hn.vnn.vn
    http://www.ambafrance-vn.org/accesbas/b_cult.htm#alli

L’Espace - Centre Culturel Français de Hanoi
    24, Trang Tien, Hanoi
    Tél : (84 4) 936 21 64
    Fax : (84 4) 936 21 65
    Mel : contact@espace-ccfhanoi.org

#5 Posted: 23/9/2008 - 13:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.