Mekong Delta - Tra Vinh
18th February, 2008
Tra Vinh is my absolute favourite in the Mekong Delta. Khmer presence is a notable factor and makes this laid-back provincial town worth a relaxing visit.
Tra Vinh is visitable on a one-day bicycle trip.
North to South:
* "Den tho Bac Ho" - Oncle Ho memorial site. 5 km away. Lush countryside with the best views nearby but an absolute loss of time to visit.
* Ong Met pagoda - on Dien Bien Phu. A 16th century Chinese temple which has completely lost its character during the last restoration. Now extremely kitsch, complete with stucco squirrels and plastic grass. Some old sculptures remain at roof-level, barely justifying a detour.
* Chua Chim, 2-3 km S - a Wat in a forest grove.
* Chua Phuong, 0.5 km S - Khmer pagoda with one photogenic building in ruins.
* Ba Om / Ao Vuong, 7 km SE - nice rectangular lake with an small but interesting free museum on Khmer culture. A nice Khmer monastery nearby makes it an hour visit at least.
* Hang pagoda, 5 km S - lots of storks and kitsch wooden sculptures. The concentration of birds (not only storks) is quite impressive, especially compared to the surrounding areas.
#1 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 02:40
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.
|Possibly related discussions||Replies||Views||Latest reply|
|Vinh Long - Mekong Delta ...||1||3655||9 Apr 2007|
|Mekong Travel Ltd Vinh Long - recommended ...||7||6068||14 Dec 2009|
|Mekong tour: advices / companions in Vinh Long or Ben tre, now ? ...||0||2549||21 Sep 2011|
|mekong delta help ...||1||2447||4 Oct 2009|
|Mekong Delta ...||1||2765||5 Mar 2007|
|Mekong Delta ...||1||2490||26 Oct 2009|
|Ben Tre Mekong Delta ...||0||3387||27 Jan 2010|
|Mekong Delta ...||9||6667||18 Sep 2011|
|Mekong Delta ...||2||471||31 May 2014|
|Mekong Delta ...||15||4252||29 Nov 2006|