Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Buddhist retreat/ meditation group in Vietnam

Posted by malthoff on 13/9/2008 at 11:47

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just wondering if anybody knows of any kind of meditation retreats, meditation groups, etc. in Vietnam.

Do any of the monasteries do activities for non-Vietnamese?

And yes, it would need to be in English (or German).

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

#1 malthoff has been a member since 2/5/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by howdad on 12/12/2008 at 23:38

Did you ever find a meditation retreat in Vietnam? I am going in Jan & early Feb. Thanks

#2 howdad has been a member since 11/12/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by malthoff on 13/12/2008 at 09:26

Posted from within Vietnam.

In short, no. Formally organised retreats don't seem to be around or are at least not grandly published.
I have however, through friends-of-friends had the chance to talk to monks who spoke English quite well. This slowly opens doors to more participation. So if you stay a long time, things can and will evolve.
The reason is that Buddhism, like many other things, is only now reviving with an increasing speed. Monks in SE Asia network a lot about 'monkish ways' which makes English a necessity. Organized retreats, which are easy to find in Thailand, are not a big thing yet. Maybe its sometimes a matter of publication, I don't know.
Hope that helps a bit.
Enjoy Vietnam and watch your shoulder bags!!

#3 malthoff has been a member since 2/5/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by haivanvietnam on 29/7/2011 at 10:34

For Zen Meditation in Vietnam, so far, Truc Lam Thien Vien or Truc Lam Zen Meditation center is one of few places in Vietnam to welcome locals and oversea visitors for zen meditation.

Arrangement is required.

So far, personaly, Dalat is best place in Vietnam for Zen. Contact me for Vietnam in slow paced life or link to my masters.
haivanvn@gmail.com

#4 haivanvietnam has been a member since 29/7/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.