Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Buddhist retreat/ meditation group in Vietnam

• malthoff

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just wondering if anybody knows of any kind of meditation retreats, meditation groups, etc. in Vietnam.

Do any of the monasteries do activities for non-Vietnamese?

And yes, it would need to be in English (or German).

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 13/9/2008 - 11:47

• Advertisement

• howdad

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2008

Did you ever find a meditation retreat in Vietnam? I am going in Jan & early Feb. Thanks

#2 Posted: 12/12/2008 - 23:38

• malthoff

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

In short, no. Formally organised retreats don't seem to be around or are at least not grandly published.
    I have however, through friends-of-friends had the chance to talk to monks who spoke English quite well. This slowly opens doors to more participation. So if you stay a long time, things can and will evolve.
    The reason is that Buddhism, like many other things, is only now reviving with an increasing speed. Monks in SE Asia network a lot about 'monkish ways' which makes English a necessity. Organized retreats, which are easy to find in Thailand, are not a big thing yet. Maybe its sometimes a matter of publication, I don't know.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Enjoy Vietnam and watch your shoulder bags!!

#3 Posted: 13/12/2008 - 09:26

• haivanvietn-
    am

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2011

For Zen Meditation in Vietnam, so far, Truc Lam Thien Vien or Truc Lam Zen Meditation center is one of few places in Vietnam to welcome locals and oversea visitors for zen meditation.

Arrangement is required.

So far, personaly, Dalat is best place in Vietnam for Zen. Contact me for Vietnam in slow paced life or link to my masters.
    haivanvn@gmail.com

#4 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 10:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buddhist/Meditation workshops? ... By misscherie on 4 Feb 2010 8 7100 30 Sep 2010
Buddhist/Meditation workshops? ... By misscherie on 4 Feb 2010 1 1401 5 Feb 2010
Buddhist Retreat, Thailand? ... By bumbly on 25 Mar 2011 2 3108 28 Mar 2011
Meditation Retreat Cambodia ... By lozgrav on 23 Oct 2012 0 1098 23 Oct 2012