Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

To Sapa from Hanoi

• Bello

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2007

Hi there,

im takin flight to hanoi n goin to sapa straight. any 1 can advise on the recommended way of travellin to that location. n do i hav to sign a sapa package from hanoi n oso any gd lodgin to recommend?

bell

#1 Posted: 15/9/2008 - 21:20

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Most everyone takes the overnight "tourist" train carriages to Lao Cai to get to Sapa . If you book a Sapa hotel (I suggest the Cat Cat Hotel for great view and price - from $20.) you should ask them to meet your train. When I went, it cost a whopping $2. Go see one of the travel agents in Hanoi , or if you don't have the time, do it online. I suggest Adventure Indochina in Hanoi . I paid $25. one way for the train - a good carriage is the King Express. Tours from Hanoi are available, but unnecessary, since Sapa is loaded with tourist services such as tours/treks, etc.
    The Cat Cat Hotel can get you a great 1/2 day trek for about $12. Most people like to arrive for the weekend markets (I went midweek, but there are daily markets also). On your way back, go check out the Chinese border in Lao Cai . I loved Sapa , but the town is not for everyone (a very rugged place - don't expect too many luxuries).

#2 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 01:17

• Bello

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2007

Thankyou, daawgon & lescott for your advises!

We r leavin for hanoi nxt week. Upon reaching, we plan take a cab(usd2?)to hanoi train station to book our own train tickets to lao cai train station(any ideas what time of departure or things to look out for?)
    & then, hop in a usd 2 transport(minivan?) to sapa cat cat hotel or mountain view GH for a 3 days 2 nights stay. N we will book the local H'mong guide for the sapa tour n trekking. How about tat? any better suggestion or advise?

Heard tat the weather in north vietn is in terrible state.

rgds
    bello

#3 Posted: 6/11/2008 - 21:31

• Bello

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2007

This is my 2nd time to vietnam after the HCMC-Hue-Hoian trip & especially Hoian, my favourite of all. so laid back & relaxing. I will definitely visit again.
    Hope tat tis Hanoi- Sapa trip will nt b a disappointing 1 as I heard a lot of good comments about Sapa n Old twn. Anyway, even though weather nw is nt at its best, i guess it will b stil as inerestin.
    cheers...

bello

#4 Posted: 7/11/2008 - 23:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.