Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

2 weeks to kill in S.E.Asia. Where should i go????? before meeting mates and partying in thailand

• somtam73

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2008

Brill sight this so happy i stumbled across it.

My names Di im from london and March 23rd next year im flying to Bangkok. Im so excited about travelling that ive got my nickers in a twist where to go as i only have 2 weeks SOLO before meeting my mates back in Bangkok to go island hopping/moon partying together in the south.

I really dont know wether to go to Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos??? I have my head half buried in the lonely planet as we speak :O))

I only have 2 weeks what could i fit in????

I am on a low to medium budget. Thinking of taking £750 for 4 weeks will this be enough???

I want to meet loads of people and have a laugh along the way. Thinking of spending 2-3 days in Bangkok before heading off.......no doubt khao san road. Any gay bars there just out of interest?!

Ill try anything once, love adventure and being an ex chef food is high on the list of agendas, cant wait for the market stalls and night markets.

Would really appreciate any advice,tips,itineries,places to stay,foodie advice,gem places to visit, web sites etc etc

Also when all 4 of us hook up and get to the moon party 9th April its sooo sooo huge i want to live the dream and have a beach hut on the beach there, any recommendations???

Cheers Di

#1 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 23:14

• Advertisement

• doakey

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2008

hey,

fair play going solo, I did it last September. I spent 2days Khao San road: stay in D&D inn has a pool on roof, its wicked. Plenty of bars to meet people had a blast but was looking forward to leave cause its pretty intense. Make sure to get in Phi Phi with ur mates by the way (far south but worth it). 2days bangkok.

I reckon u should go north to Chiang Mai, get an overnight train. This place is great for night markets. I went on a two day trekking trip then: u meet the long necks and stay in a local village with no electricity: awesome time and you meet others who go on it. maybe 4days.

Head over to Laos then and go tubing: prob need 2days. not sure what best way is over to laos think u can get train to border then bus over. need to get visa sorted: on border i think, you can get a runner.

From Laos then...head over to vietnam: prob only time to go to Hanoi for few days and get halong bay in. u need visa sorted before this: u can get in bangkok. maybe 2/3days.

you can fly then from hanoi to Siem riep to see cambodia temples. haven't been here but heard its worth the trip for 2days. fly back to bangkok then internal flights are pretty cheap.

thats about 2weeks then, ofcourse you might fall in love with some places but i always limited it to 4days max to see more. i'm no expert but that's what i'd do.

money wise: you should be ok i reckon trains at night save accom. visas and transports will add up but i think you'll be ok.

I stayed on the quiet side of ko pha-ngan and travelled over the party side its way nicer but u will need to pre-book. i actually went to half-moon its way better cause you lose everyone at full-moon. but enjoy eitherway.

phil

#2 Posted: 1/10/2008 - 03:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.