Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Than Uyen near Sapa

  • Louisj14

    Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2008
    Posts: 1

    Is there anyone who has been to this place? It is in between Tuan Giao and Sapa. It's not on the main tourist highway, but I'm want to try it as an alternative. I've been googling endlessly, but only find descriptions of tourist agents in the style of 'Day X we will stay in a guesthouse in Than Uyen...." Any recommendation or story about Than Uyen is welcome, also what kind of minorities one can see there? Also, how's the road between Tuan Giao and Than Uyen?
    Many thanks,
    Dann

    #1 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 01:33

  • Advertisement

  • cbg0927

    Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Posts: 62
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

    I know this was 6 years ago but I had this same question, and surely others will in the future, so I'd like to answer it. I stayed at Hotel Phuong Nhung. Receptionist quoted me 200000 VND, I paid 150000. Decent room, had to switch rooms though as the water didn't work after a few hours. It appears there are two Hotel Phuong Nhung though, as there is another directly across the street on the right side if you're heading through town from Tuan Giao (the one on the right side was closed). The road was decent, paved and good condition for 80% of the way, the other 20% dirt/gravel/potholes. It was under construction though for a small stretch near the dam though. Hope someone out there finds this useful!

    #2 Posted: 13/5/2014 - 07:31

  • travellings-
    arah

    TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Posts: 672
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Thanks, that's useful, but can you tell me a bit more about what's actually in the Than Uyen? I guess it's a good stop when travelling in that area, but is it worth a visit for its own sake or is it just another rural town?

    #3 Posted: 13/5/2014 - 20:14

  • cbg0927

    Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Posts: 62
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

    Well, I spent all of about 15 hours in the town. It's worth a visit if you've got the time to spare, there was some sort of concert/festival going on at the stadium which created a pretty lively atmosphere. I'd say after one night the average traveller might start getting itchy feet to move on.

    #4 Posted: 13/5/2014 - 23:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.