Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum


  • MarkHall

    Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2008
    Posts: 13

    What are the laws in Vietnam regarding motercyclists... do you need to have a licence??

    #1 Posted: 10/10/2008 - 18:07

  • Advertisement

  • etulio

    Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2008
    Posts: 13

    I rented a Motorbike in Sapa, and I was not asked for the license, nor to pay deposit or leave the passport, I was only asked in which hotel I was staying, that's it.

    #2 Posted: 13/10/2008 - 01:39

  • swag

    Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Posts: 330
    Total reviews: 6

    A word of caution on motorcycles. Check with your travel insurance as a number will not cover you for an accident if you don't have a current licence.Also there can be restrictions on the engine capacity that will also void your insurance.Unfortunately all too often you see and hear of people coming off bikes without helmets wearing shorts/singlets etc.Can be a very expensive accident

    #3 Posted: 13/10/2008 - 07:03

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    Ahhh, well, in theory you are supposed to have a valid Vietnamese license, but in practise this is just about impossible, as you need a business visa to sit the test.

    That being the case, most tourists just ride without one.

    However, bear in mind that if you're riding without a valid international license or without a license from your home country, then you're probably voiding your travel insurance for any accidents you have.

    I'd suggest getting an international license for riding and read the small print of your travel insurance document.

    In reality, if you have an accident, it will nearly always be regarded as your fault regardless of what happens and the licence will be irrelevant save for travel insurance purposes.

    #4 Posted: 13/10/2008 - 07:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee