Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Is it that wet in Vietnam?

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

I just read that part of Hanoi is under 1 meter of water due to heavy rain . Apparently the worst in 10 years! It will be appreciated if someone in Hanoi can confirm this. Btw, is Danang and HCM City similarly affected.
    Last year was also bad for Hue and Hoian during Dec, I think.

#1 Posted: 3/11/2008 - 23:50

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

check this link and see...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7703672.stm

#2 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 01:40

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Flooding (so far) is restricted to north central Vietnam (so north of the old DMZ) and Hanoi & surrounds.

It's apparently very very very very wet in Hanoi .

#3 Posted: 4/11/2008 - 07:25

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Chrispyroll and somtam2000,

Thank you.
    I will be in HCM/Hanoi/Sapa mid-Dec and I think the weather should be better then. I am not sure whether I should book my air tickets ( jetstar pacific ) for HCM/ Hue and Danang/Hanoi now or wait a bit longer. What do you think ?
    Will appreciate your advise. Last year was wet, wet , wet also in Hue and Hoian in Dec>

Thanks.

#4 Posted: 7/11/2008 - 04:25

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I was in Hue & Hoi An last November and it was pretty wet (not sure what Dec was like tho) - the fact it was wet did not matter ... just bought an umbrella and headed off into the streets ... it was still a great place to be

#5 Posted: 7/11/2008 - 16:15

• namaste970

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2005

Posted from within Vietnam.

I left Hanoi last Wednesday, but prior to that it was very wet. There were periods in the day with no rain, but a few days with severe flooding. Due to the flooding there were no taxis (and traffic wasn't going anywhere anyway) so I walked (slogged) through thigh deep water for 4.5 miles from the Ethnology Museum to the Old Quarter. Halong Bay was clear despite the weather in Hanoi . No issues in the Old Quarter with floods or electricity. Not sure how it is this week.
    Yesterday was gorgeous in Hue, but today it's been raining on and off. Quick downpours.
    Hope that helps.

#6 Posted: 8/11/2008 - 13:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.