Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

avoiding the HaLong minefield (again :-)

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Here's the thing
    sorry to bring this up again! we are going to Vietnam in June July and yes I know it's the monsoon, that's when I can go!Anyway is it really worth the hassle of Halong bay if I am not a beach dude and not into snorkelling etc. ?I have been to Guilin ,Li River area and also to Thailand ,Ko Phi Phi etc and loved the scenery. But the thought of sleeping on a boat is not my thing,especially with thousands of package tourists.However, everyone says that Halong is amazing UNESCO must see , not to be missed etc etc,
    BTW I have only 3 weeks or so.
    Please advise.TIA

#1 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 11:49

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,

I really liked Halong bay, staying on a luxury junk overnight - and the last thing I like to do generally is spend time with tour groups! The boat had about 20 people so not too many... The scenery there is beautiful and well worth the trip in my opinion.

You can go without staying the night - just head off in the morning from Hanoi - go round the bay on a junk - head back... you'll be drinking Bia Hoi in the Old Quarter before you know it.

chris

#2 Posted: 13/11/2008 - 23:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're in the area, it really is worth the effort to go see. See our Ha Long Bay section for some stories that compare different tour experiences.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2008 - 03:47

• suspiciousm-
    ole

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just been on a Halong bay 2night trip and would definately recommend it - but NOT a budget trip. We paid the extra to go on a superior boat and there was only 11 other people with very nice rooms, all food included (great if you like seafood!) plus trip to cave and kayaking - where we were the only people around. The night sleeping on the boat was so calm it was perfect - but nowis not the monsoon season ;)

I would wait til you get there, check out the weather and get some quotes from a few companies - but I definately thought it was worth it!

#4 Posted: 15/11/2008 - 09:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.