Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

avoiding the HaLong minefield (again :-)

Posted by piglet44 on 13/11/2008 at 11:49

Here's the thing
sorry to bring this up again! we are going to Vietnam in June July and yes I know it's the monsoon, that's when I can go!Anyway is it really worth the hassle of Halong bay if I am not a beach dude and not into snorkelling etc. ?I have been to Guilin ,Li River area and also to Thailand ,Ko Phi Phi etc and loved the scenery. But the thought of sleeping on a boat is not my thing,especially with thousands of package tourists.However, everyone says that Halong is amazing UNESCO must see , not to be missed etc etc,
BTW I have only 3 weeks or so.
Please advise.TIA

#1 piglet44 has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 20
 Website 

Posted by chrispyrolls on 13/11/2008 at 23:50

Hi,

I really liked Halong bay, staying on a luxury junk overnight - and the last thing I like to do generally is spend time with tour groups! The boat had about 20 people so not too many... The scenery there is beautiful and well worth the trip in my opinion.

You can go without staying the night - just head off in the morning from Hanoi - go round the bay on a junk - head back... you'll be drinking Bia Hoi in the Old Quarter before you know it.

chris

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/11/2008 at 03:47 admin

If you're in the area, it really is worth the effort to go see. See our Ha Long Bay section for some stories that compare different tour experiences.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by suspiciousmole on 15/11/2008 at 09:58

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just been on a Halong bay 2night trip and would definately recommend it - but NOT a budget trip. We paid the extra to go on a superior boat and there was only 11 other people with very nice rooms, all food included (great if you like seafood!) plus trip to cave and kayaking - where we were the only people around. The night sleeping on the boat was so calm it was perfect - but nowis not the monsoon season ;)

I would wait til you get there, check out the weather and get some quotes from a few companies - but I definately thought it was worth it!

#4 suspiciousmole has been a member since 14/11/2008. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.