Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HCMC to Hanoi - time/expense/stopovers?

• mrkarlholla-
    nd

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2008

I will be entering vietnam from Phnom Penh (how is this journey?) and heading to HCMC and then up to Hanoi.

I was wondering if you have any tips on the best route north (cheapest/quickest). I am looking at flying out from Hanoi to Bangkok so would prefer not to fly. It looks a fair distance to travel in one go so any tips on places to stop over on the way would be appreciated.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 20/11/2008 - 22:11

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Karl,

Have you taken a look at the suggested itinerary section for Vietnam? For example, this route takes in some of the more popular coastal spots.

#2 Posted: 21/11/2008 - 06:05

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Air travel is the only really comfortable means of travel in VN. Don't spend too much time in Saigon - there are much nicer destinations. I suggest flying to Danang and taking a taxi to Hoi An (the nicest resort in the country w/beach, quite a bit of history, etc., and excellent hotels and food). In Danang city you also have China Beach, and the drive north from Hoi An through Danang to Hue is great scenery as you cross the DMZ. Hue is the former capital and has much history, but few pleasures. I'd fly from there to Hanoi - a most interesting city. From Hanoi I suggest the train (private carriages) to Lao Cai to spend a few days in Sapa. Good hotels in Vietnam go for $25. and up - no need to spend more since the quality at that level is excellent. Food is excellent - some of the best in Asia.

#3 Posted: 22/11/2008 - 13:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.