Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

HCMC to Hanoi - time/expense/stopovers?

Posted by mrkarlholland on 20/11/2008 at 22:11

I will be entering vietnam from Phnom Penh (how is this journey?) and heading to HCMC and then up to Hanoi.

I was wondering if you have any tips on the best route north (cheapest/quickest). I am looking at flying out from Hanoi to Bangkok so would prefer not to fly. It looks a fair distance to travel in one go so any tips on places to stop over on the way would be appreciated.

Thanks

#1 mrkarlholland has been a member since 17/1/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/11/2008 at 06:05 admin

Hi Karl,

Have you taken a look at the suggested itinerary section for Vietnam? For example, this route takes in some of the more popular coastal spots.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by daawgon on 22/11/2008 at 13:17

Air travel is the only really comfortable means of travel in VN. Don't spend too much time in Saigon - there are much nicer destinations. I suggest flying to Danang and taking a taxi to Hoi An (the nicest resort in the country w/beach, quite a bit of history, etc., and excellent hotels and food). In Danang city you also have China Beach, and the drive north from Hoi An through Danang to Hue is great scenery as you cross the DMZ. Hue is the former capital and has much history, but few pleasures. I'd fly from there to Hanoi - a most interesting city. From Hanoi I suggest the train (private carriages) to Lao Cai to spend a few days in Sapa. Good hotels in Vietnam go for $25. and up - no need to spend more since the quality at that level is excellent. Food is excellent - some of the best in Asia.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,093

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.