Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

A week in Vietnam

Posted by Lyoungie on 30/11/2008 at 07:46

Hi,

I am going to visit Vietnam for 10 days and I was wondering if anyone can recommend an itinerary? I was thinking about starting in Hanoi because flights are cheaper. I really want to see villages though, beautiful landscapes and cultural activities.

Thanks for your help!

#1 Lyoungie has been a member since 13/11/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by frankyday on 1/12/2008 at 10:11

I believe Sapa is a good choice for you.

#2 frankyday has been a member since 30/9/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by Travelindochine on 1/12/2008 at 19:43

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello

Travel the length of Vietnam on this 10 day tour, stopping in HCMC (in the south), Hanoi (in the north), and the beaches and small towns of the central coast in between. Begin in dynamic HCMC, the country's commercial capital and center of a growing number of upscale restaurants and shops. Visit Chinatown, the Thien Hau Pagoda, the ReunificationPalace, the Opera House and Hotel de Ville. If desired, also visit the moving WarRemnantsMuseum . Explore colorful outdoor markets and Dong Khoi Street, the city's most upscale shopping boulevard with fashion boutiques and accessories designed by new Vietnamese designers, hill tribe crafts, high quality linens and housewares. Take a day trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels and watch an unusual and eclectic religious ceremony at the main temple of Cao Daism , a unique fusion of world religions, in Tay Ninh. Alternatively, spend the day cruising the narrow canals of the Mekong Delta.

Fly to Danang and land transfer to the cozy town of Hoi An, a UNESCO-designated World Heritage Site and riverfront port town crammed with historic homes, tiny museums, cafes, and bustling silk and fish markets. Nearby, see ancient sculptures in the ChamMuseum, and tour Buddhist cave temples in the MarbleMountains. Opt to stay at a luxury beach resort in nearby Danang, or a boutique riverside hotel in the heart of Hoi An.

Next, view the dramatic central coasline by a private car or minivan to Hue, the former Imperial capital of Hue. It is a quiet city renowned for the unique architecture of its citadel, palaces, royal tombs, pagodas and temples, built under the Nguyen dynasty on the banks of the PerfumeRiver .

Wrap up in Hanoi , Vietnam's artistic and intellectual capital. Explore the fascinating Old Quarter and its hundreds of specialty shops selling silk clothing, lacquerware, embroidered linens, furniture, bamboo, cooking utensils, ceremonial objects and more. Walk around HoanKiemLake, ride a cyclo to dinner, and watch a performance at the Thang Long Water Puppet Theater. Dine in French colonial villas converted into gourmet restaurants. Enjoy people watching at stylish cafes. Shop for impressive modern art in the city's many galleries. Also visit Hanoi 's main cultural attractions, including the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, his House on Stilts, the One Pillar Pagoda, the FineArtsMuseum and the Temple of Literature.

Also spend a day cruising HalongBay, where thousands of limestone rock sculptures jut dramatically from the sea and numerous grottoes have created an ephemeral, fantastic landscape.

#3 Travelindochine has been a member since 10/7/2008. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 36
 Twitter 

Posted by KPTham1 on 3/12/2008 at 00:56

With about 10 days, you would be much better off doing the Hanoi/Halong/Sapa circuit only.

#4 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.