Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Custom made shoes in Vietnam

• Isobel_123

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Hello,

Ive heard that there are shoemakers in Vietnam who can custom make shoes for under $30.

Can anyone suggest where to go to get this done? I have big feet for a girl so would that make it alot more expensive? Im dreading they wont have enough materials..haha

Thanku!

#1 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 07:33

• Advertisement

• satsumamoon1

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

Hoi An -central Vietnam - an ancientt river town near the coast.
    I got you this from youtube :-)

#2 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 12:30

• satsumamoon1

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

well, I guess I cant post the video here :-(
    Maybe you can use this link?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKflJ-VPULw
    or just find videos called'Hoi an" the shoe maker is in the first 40 secs

#3 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 12:32

• Isobel_123

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

Great! what a random place to find the info! You dont know where their based do you?
    Im there for 3 days so I should find them.. Hope they do an alright job.. Appreciate you help!

#4 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 15:15

• satsumamoon1

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

yep -you tube is bloomin' marvelous :-)
    except for the incessant obscene postings which you tube really should STOP!
    I heard that Hoi An is a place full of tailors, so it could well be a place full of shoe makers too!
    Its a smal town, you can rent a bicycle for a couple of us dollars and go shoemaker hunting -enjoy!
    You get hire bikes from hotels, restaurants and tour operators.

#5 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 15:50

• satsumamoon1

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

oh -before you go;learn the Vietnamese word for 'shoemaker' and made to measure shoes.
    The shoemaker in the video was probably in the central market, but I'm not sure.

#6 Posted: 8/12/2008 - 15:53

• Isobel_123

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

haha will do. thanks for your help buddy

#7 Posted: 9/12/2008 - 07:23

• Pernette

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

I had shoes made in Hoi An one week ago. They are nice and costed 18 dollar. They fit perfectly, but the shoe is glued to the bottom, not stitched, so the quality is not extreme good, but you can't complain when you only paid 18 dollars.

I also had a handbag made, but this was a mistake, because it looks like it is quickly sewed together. We had a bus to catch, so didn't complain about it...

But the shoes are great!

#8 Posted: 13/3/2009 - 20:23

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi,

Hoi An is full of shoe makers, and just about everyone there speaks English. It is great fun designing your own shoes.... look through brochures, then the leathers, heal types, buckles etc. I bought 7 pairs. However... the quality was no good and I only got about 6 or 7 wears out of each pair, but they looked great and were very cheap, so overall not unhappy.

As with tailors, the best way of finding a good shoe maker is to ask other travellers who have just had their's made. I believe there are some of the shoe makers who do do a quality job, I just wasn't careful enough choosing mine :- ( Never mind, it is all about the experience!

#9 Posted: 23/10/2010 - 12:05

• Jilo

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010

Wewere in Hoi An to tailor clothes but after meeting a friendly waiterwho told us to try Gold Dragon shoe shop we decided to also try andmake some shoes. Big mistake.
    Wewere greeted by a young man named Nam who spoke good english and wasa excellent salesperson so me and my girlfriend ordered one pair ofshoes each and was told to return the day after for our firstfitting. When we arrived for fitting we were very surprised, theshoes they presented to us didn't look like the ones we ordered! Myshoes (formal shoes) had shoelaces even tho the model I ordereddidn't and my girlfriends boots were completely wrong, to big sizeand to much fabric making them look saggy. We told them that this wasnot what we wanted and they agreed to fix it so we returned the nextday. My formal shoes had been fixed and looked OK but my girlfriendsboot looked almost exactly the same. We were now starting to get abit annoyed and told them, again, how the shoes should be and theyagreed to fix it, again. When we returned for the third fitting andthe shoes still looked terrible we wanted our money back but theyrefused claiming the shoes looked like we wanted even tho the lookednothing like the display shoes my girlfriend tried on.
    Thewhole thing ending with the tailor storming out of the room refusingany more service and we left feeling all but pleased with the GoldDragon. Our advice is to stay away, that can probably make simplethings where you don't really care how the shoe looks but if you wantsomething nice it's probably best to buy your shoes back home!

NOTRECOMMENDED!

#10 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• sems

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2010

I too have huge feet and got some shoes made in Hoi An (although surprisingly unlike other parts of Asia they have big sizes for sale), every shop that isn't a tailors or a restaurant is a shoe shop so you won't have any trouble finding one. I had some leather sandals made in 24hrs for $15 and while they fit and look fine they were like the other post glued instead of being stitched which I didn't realize till getting home, and now they are coming apart, but I am going to re glue them myself and I think they will be fine. So I guess as always its buyer beware, ask around for recommendations and don't pay too much!

#11 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 05:15

• Randy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

...I don't know much about other towns in vn. But in HCMC, according to local, long-term residents, the famous place to have your custom made shoes and suits, is located at Nguyen-dinh-Chieu st., 3rd district, between Banco market and Vuon Chuoi market (along this few blocks alone, I belive there were more than 10 of those shops). Myself, a few years ago, I had 2 suits made there, beautiful, with their fabric, total cost 80 dollars, a pair of custom shoes for 25US$ which I still wear it now, just for festivals. As I see, good quality and...beautiful. One thing, give them time b/t 2 to 3 days you'd be satisfy with their products. Cheer!

#12 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 02:56

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

I have spent a couple of months in Hoi An and any one that i have met that has had shoes made has had a bad experience. When i get suits made in Thailand i take a suit to get duplicated choose the material and go for 3 fittings to ensure they do it properly. If you do the same concept regarding shoes then you will have a better experience.

Suggest you take a pair or choose a pair from the shop and get them to adjust as needed.
    Only pay a very small deposit and if you have 3 days tell them you have 2 days them you have time to spare if needed.

A lot of people end up taking the suit or shoes and don't wear them because they don't fit or are not the material they wanted. They take them because they have no time left before leaving.
    Sadly some companies take advantage of that.

Hoi an is a very small town so go in the morning hunt around meet some people get some feed back and then order. Tell them you will come back for a fitting early afternoon and depending on that goes go back again that night. It is a small town so easy to spend 10 minutes checking up on the progress.

good luck

#13 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 15:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
tailor-made shoes in Vietnam? ... By tabea1 on 23 Oct 2007 0 2436 23 Oct 2007
Custom made bikes ... By MADMAC on 20 Sep 2009 0 1446 20 Sep 2009
Custom made ao dai and other Vietnamese women's clothing in HCMC (or Can Tho) for a man. ... By man_in_ao_dai on 21 Jul 2014 2 1005 29 Sep 2014