Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Flodding in Northern and Central Vietnam

Posted by aimeetaylor on 10/12/2008 at 19:51

I am travleeing to Vietnam for the first time in January and am really keen to make Hanoi my first stop, however I have read various reports online detailing the terriable flooding in nothern and central regions of vietnam and was wondering if anyone can advise whether it is appropriate and or possible to travel to the affected regions in the near future? Any details on affected areas who advise from anyone who has travelled there recently would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

#1 aimeetaylor has been a member since 30/10/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by aimeetaylor on 10/12/2008 at 19:52

P.s. ops i obviously mean *flooding!

#2 aimeetaylor has been a member since 30/10/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by chrispyrolls on 10/12/2008 at 20:00

Shouldn't be too wet in Jan in Hanoi - a bit cool maybe

Hoi An / Hue areas should be same, but warmer

#3 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by daawgon on 13/12/2008 at 11:55

Hanoi can be cool/foggy in Jan, but very pleasant. The place that can be downright COLD is up the the NW Highlands - Sapa. But, don't let that stop you from going - it's worth the effort.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by niko on 20/12/2008 at 04:44

Hi there,

We just returned from a month in Vietnam, all is good flooding has mostly subsided aside from the usual up and down river action in Hoi An.

We spent three days in Hanoi right across from Hoan Kiem Lake and did a Perfume Pagoda tour on Yen Stream, no problems there either.

The odd road was washed out in Sapa area but I think that is the norm, quickly repaired so traffic could get through.

Hope that helps

Niko

#5 niko has been a member since 12/12/2005. Location: Canada. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.