Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Plane or boat to Phu Quoc?

• EmBees

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2008

I am flying into HCMC in mid-February to begin 5 weeks travel. I'll mostly be in Cambodia and Laos but am hoping to spend the first week or so on the Mekong and Phu Quoc. I know I can fly directly to Phu Quoc from HCMC (and skip exploring that city until the end of the trip - in order to recover on the beach from my very long flight). But I am also hoping to see some combination of Cai Be, Can Tho, and Chau Doc (from which I could proceed to Phnom Penh by boat - I think?). So, is there a more logical way to organize this by bus and boat and skip the flight? For instance, I like the idea of the taking a Mekong tour from HCMC to Chau Doc but then I've missed Phu Quoc...

Obviously I haven't been to this area before! This site is - and all of you are - an amazing resource. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 14/12/2008 - 05:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Embees, you could do something like this:
    Arrive HCM -> fly to Phu Quoc Island for some beach time. Then get the ferry back to Rach Gia, overnight there, then on to Can Tho, Cai Be etc and on to Chau Doc . From Chau Doc as you say, boat on to Phnom Penh.

#2 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 05:18

• EmBees

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2008

Thanks a lot for your response. My thoughts are now along similar lines, although perhaps skipping the night in Rach Gia in favor of a bus on to Can Tho that day. Something somewhere gave me the impression that should be quite doable timewise.

#3 Posted: 15/12/2008 - 08:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, certainly doable, I've just a soft spot for Rach Gia

#4 Posted: 16/12/2008 - 10:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
VT-LP in Oct - boat, bus, or plane? ... By chopin on 24 Sep 2012 6 810 26 Sep 2012
Boat or plane from HCMC to PP ... By tverity on 24 Sep 2009 4 1494 29 Sep 2009