Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Diving/Snorkeling in Nha Trang or Hoi An in Jan.?

• dnovsky

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2008

Is anyone familiar with diving in Vietnam in either Nha Trang or Hoi An in early January?

Originally I was going to go to Nha Trang Mun Island; but now I'm thinking of extending my stay in Hoi An and checking out the Cham Island instead.

I'm not into the party scene. I'll be disappointed if I go to Nha Trang and the diving isn't excellent.

I'm also not sure if Hoi An is warm enough or clear enough for diving (or snorkeling) in Jan.

Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 08:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm not a diver, but have dropped a mate who is a line -- will report back when I get some more info -- I have heard (informally) that the diving off Cham Island (ie near Hoi An) is quiet ok.

#2 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 14:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, I heard back from my diving oracle (Chris at Southeast Asia dive site, DiveHappy) and he had the following advice:

"I've dived Nha Trang, not Hoi An -- Cham Island might be better as there's not so many fishing boats, but neither of these places come up as "must see" dive spots"

So they're you go -- hope that helps!

#3 Posted: 17/12/2008 - 15:08

• burkey

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2010

mmm...ok where are the "must see snorkeling spots...if you don't mind me asking, we are planning on being in s e asia area almost 3 months...have yet to confirm a port of entry, but leaning toward hanoi via cathay pacific, but could start our vacation almost anywhere and could tailor it to a must see snorkeling list if you have one...and if you do i'll buy the 1st round...
    cheers

#4 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 00:26

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

I don't think Hoi An is an option in January. All the dive shops close at that time of year. About the only dive spot is off phu quoc, we were there last December, wouldn't go out of my way to dive off there again, over-fished oceans lead to not much life and the coral although okay is not great.

#5 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 05:34

• Pablot

Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hoi An is normally still in the grips of monsoon season in January - so stike this destination off your list! Snorkeling is good in summer off Cu Lao Cham (Cham Islands) but it is not really a good dive destination (no wrecks, etc.). In general VN is not great for snorkeling or diving in large part because it is fished out and nothing is being done to protect what little remains! try somewhere else in SE Asia as you have 3 months....

#6 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 17:57

• abc

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010

I don't dive but they say Nha Trang has the best diving in Vietnam,it's very cheap.Jan should be ok as the rainy season will have passed.

#7 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 16:50

• DivingVietN-
    am

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2011
    Location United States

Well there are some Good replys and Yes the raining season is Here during January so the days Conditions Might Be Hit or Miss but Snorkeling is almost Always Good in Nha Trang and we do Both Snorkeling and Scuba Diving Year Round Here just sometimes Alittle wetter than others so visit http://www.DivingVietNam.com and Contact Me for Curent conditions and Hopefully will See You Guys in the water here in Nha Trang.
    Aloha From Mark Scott's Diving Viet Nam where we Dive with Aloha.

#8 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 17:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The best island to snorkeling and diving on the first half of November. ... By Agee on 24 Oct 2013 6 1208 25 Oct 2013
Diving snorkeling and overnight stay on an island in Sihanoukville ... By emzet on 31 Dec 2008 0 3503 31 Dec 2008
Divehappy reviews: Lonely Planet Diving And Snorkeling Thailand ... By somtam2000 on 19 Sep 2007 0 4556 19 Sep 2007