Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sleeping in HCMC

• EmBees

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2008

HCMC will be my first stop after a couple long flights and I think I want to be in District 1, but I know I'll need to be able to sleep well. I'm looking at the California Guest House, the Kim Hotel, the Xuan Thu, and Madame Cuc's. They all sound like solid options from the reading I have done, but does anyone have direct experience that would suggest that one is particularly great or, in the alternative, would be a poor choice?

(February, first time in Vietnam, solo female 30s - if those factors affect your opinions at all.)

#1 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 06:28

• Advertisement

• norris7

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2008

I always find trip advisor helpful when booking hotels abroad (www.tripadvisor.com) My boyfriend and I used it in Thailand last year and it seemed pretty spot on. There are also forums on there too.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2008 - 21:07

• EmBees

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2008

Thank you. I have been reading tripadvisor the past couple weeks. There is a ton of information there - as well as many diverse opinions and options! I thought I'd double-check with the savvy travelers here. It is nice to hear that you found the collective tripadvisor wisdom spot-on in the past. Thanks.

#3 Posted: 22/12/2008 - 03:12

• austral31

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

I stayed in a place called the Betty Hotel in Pham Ngu Lao, the main precinct for backpackers to stay. The guy speaks French and English and is very nice. They have fan and air-con rooms with TVs which are basic but clean. I wouldn't recommend it if you are planning on spending all day in the room but otherwise it is a good choice.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 13:51

• norris7

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2008

We stayed in Bich Duyen Hotel at $15 a night at the beginning of our trip, and Blue River Hotel at $22 a night at the end, both of which are good honest and safe. They are both situated in Pham Ngu Lao and are next to each other down a side street making them a slighter quieter choice. I know madam Cuc's is on a main busy road but don't know what it's like inside.

#5 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 16:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.