Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Taxi Costs - Hanoi Airport

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

I be interested in an update on taxii costs from Hanio Airport to the Old Quarter. Putting aside the potential scammers, I have read elsewhere that the going rate is now $16US not $10 as detailed here in the Hanio pages...another person said that there is an "offical Vietnam Airlines" service which is $18. Anyway if anyone has used a taxi on this trip recently, an update on the cost wou

#1 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 02:49

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

One hotel I know is charging $12 each way...

#2 Posted: 24/1/2009 - 03:09

• Travelindoc-
    hine

Click here to learn more about Travelindochine
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

yes, taxi from Noi Bai to center Hanoi now at 280.000 VND (16 usd). Use Hanoi Taxi or Mailinh. Do not use Van Xuan taxi (Matiz taxi) I was scammed by rude drivers

#3 Posted: 31/1/2009 - 13:44

• travelr

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2009

WATCH OUT! I know this is obvious but, trusting a friend, I walked right into the scam of the century. After my friend arranged our ride- agreeing on 200,000 dong- we got taken to the wrong hotel. A man there said he would take us to another place but we refused- we could tell it was not legit whatsoever. Getting out, the man who arranged the ride at the airport jumps out and demands 2 MILLION dong, about $115 USD. Things got pretty bad, including arguing and him yelling at me (an innocent 21 year old girl from the States), threatening us and even violently grabbing my friend. Scared as hell, we gave him what we had (500,000 dong) and got away... with one of his cronies tailing us a few blocks.

I know we set ourselves up for it and had I been on my own I would have refused immediately at the airport when my guard went up. Just wanted to give an example of what CAN happen if you aren't on your guard and don't go with a legit taxi company. I think those should cost you around 260,000 dong. Good luck!

#4 Posted: 31/1/2009 - 18:14

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Same thing happened to me first time I arrived in Saigon. I arranged a taxi at the airport for 70,000 dong and when we got to Pham Ngu Lao the guy demanded 700,000. After a bit of argument, I paid him the 70,000 price and tried the old "walk away and ignore" bit. He followed me for a block but let up when I kept ignoring.

#5 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 11:09

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

For those interested in non-taxi options, go to:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6148_hanoi-travel-tips

The read may save you heaps of money.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 10:22

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Been to Hanoi 3 times last year and each time I will walk to the main entrance and get a taxis from the many taxis companies just outside . The rates in dones are posted on the notice board and last time the rate was about 260000 dongs to the Old Quarters . One advice is that once you get into the taxi, Please do not be too friendly with the driver who will try to pump you for your hotel infor. To be safe, you should have the full address ( in Vietnamese )and ensure that the guys at the starting point tell the taxi driver the exact hotel and address. Alternatively, you could arrange for your hotel to pick you up for a slightly higher price .

#7 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 00:15

• scafire_jes-
    se

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

I figured that after the long flight from the States and a late-night arrival that I didn't want to deal with all that crap so I booked my first night at a slightly more expensive hotel (as-in a whopping $25) that included airport pickup. Not only did we avoid the airport taxi scams, but we got a very nice place to sleep off the jet lag before we transitioned to cheaper accommodations. Absolute best thing we could have ever done and well worth the (relatively minor) extra expense.

Of course the driver still tried to get a tip on the side because it was "so late." ;)

#8 Posted: 23/6/2009 - 00:37

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

A friend of mine who just came back from Vietnam advised us to pay 12$ per way only.

Rebecca

#9 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 11:29

• Stalock

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

Hi scafire_jesse - at which hotel did you stay?

#10 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 18:02

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

A taxi should cost around 175,000 VN dong. In US$, that equates to around US$10.00.

Clearly, a taxi driver would prefer you pay more. I suggest if keeping your money is important to you, make an agreement with the driver for 175,000 VN dong (or 200,000 VN dong which = about US$11).

Equally, a shuttle bus will cost 25,000 VN dong (during daytime hours) and will cost in US$1.50.

- - - -

There is a driver arrangement in Hanoi where a hotel calls a person with a car, and if they are in the area or interested, the hotel will organise with the driver to pick you up and transport you. We, the tourist, have no access to these 'deals'. If your hotel can offer the arrangement within an obviously overloaded tariff, and you are willing to partake for the convenience, then great.

cheers

#11 Posted: 26/6/2009 - 06:15

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

As per a previous post someone had said they paid about $25 usd for a nicer hotel that offered free hotel pick up . If you think about it that is your best scenerio as you will be staying at a nicer hotel your 1st night so as to when you are jet lagged your bed will be more comfortable , and that way when you sllep at the cheaper hotel the other nights , you will know the difference in a few dollars , as well as not being scammed by the taxi's , Always complain to the the Hanoi Airport authority. They don't know about the scams taxi drivers do , cause people don't complain . I'm sure if your room doesn't have a/c you would complain .

#12 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 09:52

• Tweet22

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2009

My cousin lives in Ha Noi and has travelled to all but 4 provinces of VN. Due to this, she's a regular with a taxi firm she uses, and even at 'mates rates' when coming to pick me up, we're still charged over 200,000dong. Travelling alone one time from Noi Bai Airport into Ha Noi, the driver charged around 260-280,000 dong (I forget exactly how much). I had him on the phone to my cousin to direct us to her house. This was the current standard rate about over a year ago. Which means it may be a little more now. Even if they choose to scam an extra 20,000 dong from me, I give them 300,000 dong anyway and tell them to keep the change.
    I can't imagine how many years ago it would have been $10.

#13 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 09:43

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

I've flown into Hanoi several times this year and never paid more/less than US$16.

Walk out of the terminal, ignore all the taxi drivers asking you where you want to go and head to the taxi rank (on the left as you exit). There is usually some English speaking staff there to assist.

this should clear it up.
    http://www.noibaitaxi.com/EN/views.asp?cid=164

#14 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 11:18

• buecax

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

according to the other thread that bruce pointed out, the shuttle bus only runs through "daylight hours", is that correct? or does anybody know where i can find a timetable. my flight will be coming in at 8:30 pm.

the hotel i pre-booked is offering to pick me up from the airport for 15$. from what i´m reading in above posts that would actually be an ok deal... or not?

#15 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 00:01

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

buecax

I relied on info provided re: HaNoi (old Quarter) to NoiBai (airport).

Vietnam Airlines has its mini-bus contractors, as do Jetstar and some other companies.

The Vietnam Airlines 'blurb' is here.

I can't say for certain, but as you arrive at 8:30pm, and both Vietnam Airlines and Jetstar are still bring pax in after that time, I'd assume that at least one mini-bus would be waiting at the terminal to go to HaNoi city area.

At the worst, you take a taxi and agree on the fare [200,000 - 225,000 VN dong = same same as US$15.

Cheers

#16 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 07:08

• missmessy

Click here to learn more about missmessy
    Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2009
    Location Australia

We arrived in Hanoi late in the evening and there was a Jetstar bus there waiting. We were actually accosted by another bus company who were parked closer to the door and ended up going with them.

#17 Posted: 7/8/2009 - 20:43

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

The Tung Trang Hotel in Hanoi just set me up with airport pickup for 16USD - as of an email they sent August 10th, 2009.

This might be inflated, but this hotel doesn't really seem to be reasonably prices in just about everything they do - I'd say its safe to assume that this is the going rate.

I'm sure you can find it cheaper, just be damn sure you know where you are going, and don't let them take you somewhere else.

#18 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 13:23

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

Uhh. I wish there was an edit key.

I meant to say that:

"This might be inflated, but this hotel seems to be reasonably priced in just about everything they do - I'd say its safe to assume that this is the going rate."

#19 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 13:24

• buzzardina

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

As I work in Hanoi, I took the taxi to and from the airport many times and there are fixed prices with Noi Ba Taxi and Airport Taxi, so no need to fix the price or whatever:
    From the airport to the centre: 230'000 VN Dong
    From the centre to the airport: 180'000 VN Dong
    I never had ANY problems with the taxi driver tryiong to rip me off (just don't tip too much), they usully don't speak English so have your address printed somewhere and there will be no problem!

#20 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 10:13

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Well, if you bargain the fare down, the drivers will even chase you to offer 10$ per way only.

Lex

#21 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 13:51

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi Basejump

If you spend your whole trip haggling over slightly more than the cost of a cup of coffee you will not enjoy yourself.

I like to have a general idea of what costs should be but basically take the approach that if I am happy with the quote and get good service then I remain a happy camper.

I have known backpackers who will spend all day going from place to place to save $2 a night on accommodation (forgetting the fact that they have wasted a day of their holiday).

Relax, if you believe you are getting value for money then you are, if you paid slightly more than the person next to you so what, $5 to us isn't much but will make a big difference to the poor old cabbie.

#22 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 14:39

• nworbd

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2007

The standard taxi rate is 180,000 from Hanoi to Noi Bay, and 250,000 from Noi Bay to Hanoi. You can also negotiate a shared van (two drop off points, one near the Daewoo Hotel and one on Quang Trung Street near Hoan Kiem Lake) at the taxi stand area.

If you want a really cheap ride and have scant luggage, the #7 bus will take you all the way to the Kim Ma Bus Station (corner Giang Vo and Kim Ma, downtown) for a mere 7,000 dong. The bus stand is way off to the right as you exit the terminal. Buses leave every 5 to 10 minuets. Don't try this with a big bag -- they won't let you on the bus. David in Hanoi

#23 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 17:33

• mifox2

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2009

There are a couple of places on Dinh Liet Street in the Old Quarter of Hanoi that will arrange a taxi to the airport for you for $9. This is the cheapest we've found it.

#24 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 19:18

• wiriya

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011
    Location Thailand

You may also catch a taxi at Noi Bai airport terminal arrivals level. Airport taxi costs a fixed VND 320,000 ($16) for a sedan(toll charges are included in the price).
    Good brand name taxi : Noi Bai airport taxi , Airport Taxi, Viet Thanh Taxi and Mai Linh taxi.
    Note: it is a good habit to write down the number plate of the taxi in case the driver want to cheat you.
    I have come back Hanoi many time, i found it good, new car, cheap price, friendly driver...Mr.Canh 0982358282.Their officially site is : www.hanoitransferservice.com

#25 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 10:21

• seatraveler

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011
    Location United States

I got quoted $18 by my hostel to get picked up later in November. I'm landing around 1030PM and it's my first time out of my country so I will probably just go with it.

#26 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 15:21

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

That seems pretty fair, it is only a couple of bucks above the going rate, you will be getting in late at night and it will mean you wont need to risk the less than honest taxi drivers.

#27 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 16:34

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I'd go with the $18 option too. At that time of night, trying to get a taxi at the airport can be a nightmare so best to be sorted and safe.

#28 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 22:44

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

Yes the taxi's are now up to 16.00 flat rate from the airport, and although Mai Linh and Hanoi taxi can be a safe bet since they have English speaking staff at there hqtrs , but they still try to take you the long way , did you know the smallest taxi's charge the cheapest, and if going somewhere for 1 hour or less just make the taxi wait it will be cheaper on the return trip. No if you arrive before 10pm take the city bus from the airport just .25 cents to the city center , if you don't have allot of luggage... buses run every 30 mins from 6 am to 10 pm ....but you must pay in dong so change at least 20.00 usd at the airport.

#29 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 22:57

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States

The fee at the airport is about 17 usd from the airport to city center or includes up to 32 km , You can still take public buses , #7 take you near the Hanoi Zoo where #17 takes you near the Old Quarter and has a more scenic route , both bus's are about 7,000 vnd or about 35 cents each way . You can still take a Vietnam Airlines mini bus for about 2 usd or 40,000 vnd .

Taxi and private scammers will try to pick you up inside the airport.

You can also try to go to the arrivals area on the 2nd floor , and negotiate with taxi's dropping off customers as they will go back to the city empty .

There is also big buses parked outside from Vietjetair and Jetstar that drop you near the old Quarter too for about 2 usd each , these are more comfortable as the mini buses try to pack you in like sardines and usually do not leave till all the seats are taken.

#30 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 08:11

• Night_exile

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013

Around 350,000VND :) (16USD) to Old Quater.

#31 Posted: 6/8/2013 - 05:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Taxi Horror in Hanoi Airport ... By travworld on 1 Apr 2011 3 3834 3 Apr 2011
hanoi taxi - bus from airport update ... By sems on 27 Sep 2010 3 2631 27 Sep 2010