Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Tours / Fixed Price or Need to Bargin?

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

There are some major agencies in Hanoi whose names come up regular in threads and forums as being reasonable bets for a Halong Cruise. Are the prices offered by these agents such as Handspan, Kangaroo Cafe, SinhCafe fixed or is there a need to bargin to get the best price? Put another way, what is the best way to get the best price?

#1 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 19:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Best way to get the best price is to shop around, but from personal experience the major operators (like the ones you mention) don't budge much on price.

Bear in mind that if you go for the cheapest you can find, you may end up with a very mediocre experience.

#2 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 07:41

• austral31

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

I agree with what somtam2000 says. Like most things in Vietnam you will get what you pay for with Halong Bay. I did a trip with Tropical Sails in 2007. We sort of saved it as a splurge at the end of time in Vietnam and paid a little more (US $120 per person I think) but were very glad we did. Our junk only had 3 cabins on it and ours at least was similar to a room in a 5 star hotel. Seafood and fruit made up most of 2 lunches, 1 breakfast and 1 dinner.

We only had 2 other couples which made it quite pleasant compared to other junks going by that would have had 30-40 people on it. Each to their own and if you were a solo traveller this could be good, but it was not my idea of a good time.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 14:03

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

thank you for your posts

#4 Posted: 9/2/2009 - 15:05

• paradise

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

We tried to contact Tropical Sails by email at info@tropical-sails.com and bounced back. We looked through lots of information and also thought they offered an excellent trip and decided we would also spring for this and pay more.
    Do you or anyone else have a current, working email for tropical sails?

#5 Posted: 10/2/2009 - 05:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.