Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Danang (or Hoi An) to Bo Y border crossing into Lao

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi again
    I need to travel from Hoi An (or Danang) to the Bo Y border crossing with Lao in August.
    Does anyone know if there is a regular service to the border?
    If so, could you please provide details or point me in the right direction.
    Cheers
    rayc

#1 Posted: 8/2/2009 - 08:32

• Advertisement

• BigRoss

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2007
    Total reviews: 13

We crossed here in January this year. Border formalities were minimal (for Vietnam) and quickly negotiated (without any requests for "special fees"). There is an express bus from Kon Tum to Attapeu . The bus was comfortable and reasonably cheap. Therefore, I think you need to work out how to get to Kon Tum. I very much doubt that there is a direct bus from Da Nang. Even if you do manage to get to the border by yourself, you will have trouble finding any transport on the other side.
    If you have to spend a night in Kon Tum, that's no imposition, as it's quite a nice place. You really have no choice but to go to Attapeu, as the only other town on the way, Xaisettha, is very small, and I didn't see any accommodation (although the local bike mechanic was very helpful when I broke a brake lever!)
    The drive from the Lao border to Attapeu is remarkably scenic.

#2 Posted: 8/2/2009 - 11:40

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi BigRoss
    Thanks for your promt reply

I'm comin from BKK and PNH and Saigon in August, and have decided that the train from SGN to Danang might be a bit more interesting than a 12 hr express bus up Hwy14.

I understand there might be a regular Danang-Pakse or Danang-KonTum-Pleiku express bus, but at this stage I'm not aware of their departure times or days. I could pick up the KonTum-Pakse bus no problem...if I can get to KonTum from Danang. My Lonely Planet Vietnam Cambodia Laos & Greater Mekong guide is pretty useless for this specific transport info.

Cheers
    Rayc

#3 Posted: 8/2/2009 - 13:35

• BigRoss

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2007
    Total reviews: 13

I must have been having a "brain dead" moment. The bus does originate in Pleiku. It leaves Kon Tum between 9 and 11am. (Ours was 10:30, although we were told to be there at 8:30. Nice coffee shop at the bus stop.) If you have to stay overnight, (and I think you will) Kon Tum is much nicer than Pleiku.

#4 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 17:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.