Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

feedback on Trip Itinerary please

• piglet44

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

going to Vietnam/Cambodia for three weeks in July.want to fly into Hanoi from BKK and back from Cambia to BKK .

thinking about this

Hanoi 2 days

Sapa 4 days

train to Hue/Hoi an 3 days

train to HNha Trang 3 days

Saigon 2 days

Mekong Delta trip 2 days

trip to Cambodia Phnom Penh 2 days

Ankor wat 2 days transfer to BKK airport

I know I have skipped Halong bay (not so keen on sleeping on boats)

any comments welcome.

Is it possible to fit Laos in here anywhere?

thanks

#1 Posted: 13/2/2009 - 16:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Piglet,

I think save Laos for another trip.

Only point that springs to mind is you're allowing just 3 days for Hoi An and Hue -- most could easily spend three days in either -- and they're a good few hours travel apart from one another... so I'd lean towards perhaps two days in Hue, two in Hoi An and two in Nha Trang...

Also, perhaps look into doing some domestic flights to save some cash.

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2009 - 08:05

• ngg18

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

I would recommend perhaps taking a flight from Nha Trang to HCMC with Jetstar. The airfare is very reasonable and it will be a lot more comfortable than the sleeping bus or a train.

In addition you may also like to consider flying from Hanoi to Hue or Danang to save. Again with Jetstar this should be about 600000VND.

Definitely take your time in Hoi An. It is a very beautiful place and has a very nice relaxing atmosphere about it. Rent a bike one day and go for a ride to the nearby beach.

For the Mekong delta I would recommend Can Tho . Takes about 4 hours to get there by bus from HCMC. From Can Tho you can take bus up to Chau Doc and then boat into Cambodia.

Hope this helps a little:)

#3 Posted: 15/3/2009 - 15:02

• Joffa

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2009

I would perhaps have one day less at Sapa, add the time onto Hanoi and do trip to Halong over two days with overnight on CatBa Island. We have done this twice. One way by junk and return by hydrofoil.
    We booked through www.vietnamopentour.com. Well organised with a guide if required.
    I liked the overnight train, though last time (November 2008) the compartment was quite dirty probably because the trains were not able to be cleaned in Hanoi because of flooding. Previous trains were OK.

We flew HCMC to Siem Reap with Bangkok Airways, (but you can also use Vietnam Airways). Caught bus to Phnom Penh then Air Asia Phnom Penh to Bangkok.
    Alternately you can fly Siem Reap to Luang Prabang (Laos Air US$209) then to Bangkok from there or Vientiane (or overnight train Nong Khai to Bangkok, new train station also on Laos side of the border).
    You are just getting a bit short on time to do it all.

#4 Posted: 15/3/2009 - 18:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.