Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

feedback on Trip Itinerary please

Posted by piglet44 on 13/2/2009 at 16:25

going to Vietnam/Cambodia for three weeks in July.want to fly into Hanoi from BKK and back from Cambia to BKK .

thinking about this

Hanoi 2 days

Sapa 4 days

train to Hue/Hoi an 3 days

train to HNha Trang 3 days

Saigon 2 days

Mekong Delta trip 2 days

trip to Cambodia Phnom Penh 2 days

Ankor wat 2 days transfer to BKK airport

I know I have skipped Halong bay (not so keen on sleeping on boats)

any comments welcome.

Is it possible to fit Laos in here anywhere?

thanks

#1 piglet44 has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 20
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/2/2009 at 08:05 admin

Hi Piglet,

I think save Laos for another trip.

Only point that springs to mind is you're allowing just 3 days for Hoi An and Hue -- most could easily spend three days in either -- and they're a good few hours travel apart from one another... so I'd lean towards perhaps two days in Hue, two in Hoi An and two in Nha Trang...

Also, perhaps look into doing some domestic flights to save some cash.

Hope that helps.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,502
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ngg18 on 15/3/2009 at 15:02

I would recommend perhaps taking a flight from Nha Trang to HCMC with Jetstar. The airfare is very reasonable and it will be a lot more comfortable than the sleeping bus or a train.

In addition you may also like to consider flying from Hanoi to Hue or Danang to save. Again with Jetstar this should be about 600000VND.

Definitely take your time in Hoi An. It is a very beautiful place and has a very nice relaxing atmosphere about it. Rent a bike one day and go for a ride to the nearby beach.

For the Mekong delta I would recommend Can Tho . Takes about 4 hours to get there by bus from HCMC. From Can Tho you can take bus up to Chau Doc and then boat into Cambodia.

Hope this helps a little:)

#3 ngg18 has been a member since 4/6/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by Joffa on 15/3/2009 at 18:04

I would perhaps have one day less at Sapa, add the time onto Hanoi and do trip to Halong over two days with overnight on CatBa Island. We have done this twice. One way by junk and return by hydrofoil.
We booked through www.vietnamopentour.com. Well organised with a guide if required.
I liked the overnight train, though last time (November 2008) the compartment was quite dirty probably because the trains were not able to be cleaned in Hanoi because of flooding. Previous trains were OK.

We flew HCMC to Siem Reap with Bangkok Airways, (but you can also use Vietnam Airways). Caught bus to Phnom Penh then Air Asia Phnom Penh to Bangkok.
Alternately you can fly Siem Reap to Luang Prabang (Laos Air US$209) then to Bangkok from there or Vientiane (or overnight train Nong Khai to Bangkok, new train station also on Laos side of the border).
You are just getting a bit short on time to do it all.

#4 Joffa has been a member since 15/3/2009. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.