Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

My Tho? And Can Tho or just Can Tho?

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

After reading the information on trusty travelfish, especially the bit about overpriced packaged tours on the river, I'm thinking that My Tho maybe isn't worth our time? We're planning to stay in Can Tho for a few days and will be coming overland from Cambodia and are also planning to stay in Chau Doc for a day. Should we skip My Tho or is it worth a separate stop?
    We're at the end of a 7 month trip, and as usually happens, we're running out of time. Planning on 3 days in each Saigon and Hanoi but could spend an extra day in Hanoi if My Tho isn't worth it. Cheers.

#1 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 13:49

• Advertisement

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

Hi,

Just came home from a trip that south Vietnam was part of.
    We did My Tho on an organised trip from Saigon, and compared to Can Tho and Chau Doc it is not as charming which can depend on that we did that organised and the other two individually.
    We liked Can Tho very much and just organised a boattrip at the waterfront. It took us to the floating market and in to the small canals and was a great trip of about 6 hours and just the two of us (from 5.30 in the morning). Think we payd 24 dollars for the boat.
    Also spent two nights in Chau Doc which I am really glad for. Took a cyklo to Sam Mountain and walked the way up and in the afternoon hired a lady to row us around in a small boat on the river with all the floating houses and the places for fishbreeding, around 100.000 dong for 2 hours.
    Seems like My Tho is hard to do independently or will cost you a lot so I should say that if you are short of time, skip My Tho and spend more time in other places instead.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 16:55

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

thanks. Did you also spend 2 nights in Can Tho? Does it warrant more? I usually travel without a plan but need to book a flight out of Saigon to Hanoi and don't want to short change myself.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 17:33

• krisim

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 8

We spent 3 nights, but did arrive late at night and left early morning, so we had 2 whole days. You can do the most important things on one day, so if you are short of time...

#4 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 22:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd definitely skip My Tho. Two nights would be better for Can Tho as people tend to organise the trip the night before (just go down to the river and talk to old women -- they'll tell you the spiel) but arrange to leave as early as possible the next morning -- I think we left at 4.30am from memory. We didn't get back to Can Tho till after midday, so while we could have pushed on I was glad to have an afternoon off relaxing.

For Chau Doc, again, you can "do it" in one night, but two is better. Again get out on the river very early.

#5 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 07:18

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008

Thanks Somtam. I'm not a sunrise person but will try to get out as early as I can bear.

#6 Posted: 18/2/2009 - 13:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.