• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I just wanted to let people know that the Vietnam visa on arrival worked out fine for my companion and I when we arrived in Saigon by air a couple weeks ago. The cost of the service for the 3 month single entry visa was $33 and the stamp fee at the airport was another $25. We used www.guidevietnam.com and had a fine experience with them.

Having a splendid time in Vietnam so far.

Best,

DL

We

#1 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 20:13

• Advertisement

• robk

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009

hi
    im goin to be travelling vietnam early march...
    i was going to go to bangkok to get my vietnam visa but if its easy as that then i may pay at the airport...my plans are a last minute thing to travel vietnam and cambodia so im stil not sure where im going first...if you have any advice or information on the cost of accomodation,,food and drink and traveling vietnam i would truely appreciate it.

robk

#2 Posted: 17/2/2009 - 23:33

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well, it's not really "easy as that." You have to arrange it through the travel company first, which includes sending them the service fee through xoom.com or western union. They don't take credit. It takes some time and you have to print out the approval letter once they e-mail it to you. If you're starting your trip in VN then it makes sense but if you'll be in Bangkok, Phnomh Penh, Vientiane or somewhere like that before entering VN then it's defenitely cheaper and probably easier to just get it at the embassies in one of those places. I was coming directly from New York to Saigon so it saved me money; would have cost over $70 through the embassy in the states and entail sending my passport in for over ten days.

As for general advice for Vietnam, I'll just say this: know what you're doing. Make sure that when you arrive you have good travel info and try to become acquainted with the exchange rate before-hand. The first taxi driver we met outside the airport tried to charge 600,000 dong or U$35 for a ten minute ride to Pham Ngu Lao that shouldn't cost more than 50,000. Don't let the touts take advantage of you - be assertive and don't just 'give in'. Read the Travelfish guides (and/or other good info) and have a plan. If you have more specific questions I can try to answer them next time I find internet.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 20/2/2009 - 20:27

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Hey Robk.....I second what DLuek wrote. Visa-on-arrival is a slight misnomer. You must arrange it beforehand through one travel agent or another. We had great luck with a fellow in Ha Noi, but there are many, many others. Just make sure they are reputable. You'll need to send them your passport info and pay via Western Union, bank transfer, Moneygram, etc. The agent will e-mail the approval, which, as DLuek said, you must print out and have with you upon arrival. Oh yes, one other thing. If you are going to enter VN, then go to Cambodia or Lao or wherever, then return to VN, you must have a Multiple-Entry Visa to begin with.

Happy Trails!

#4 Posted: 21/2/2009 - 08:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just locking this thread as it is real honey spot for moronic Vietnamese travel agents you continue to spam the site peddling their wares.
    Just to be clear, my comment isn't related to the posts above but rather to comments from spamming agencies that have posted (and been deleted) on this thread.

#5 Posted: 3/7/2010 - 09:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Re entering thailand and any potential problems on arrival ... By ryanward789 on 6 Feb 2012 5 2082 25 Feb 2012
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 4002 6 Jun 2011
vietnam visa on arrival ? ... By mrasia on 26 Oct 2006 3 8131 25 May 2011
On arrival visa to Vietnam for Uganda ... By annajulianna90 on 5 Dec 2013 0 586 5 Dec 2013
Vietnam - Visa on arrival - does it work? ... By sprengja on 13 Nov 2008 1 6458 14 Nov 2008
Vietnam - Visa On Arrival Photo Requirements - help please ... By kjsuf1 on 16 Jun 2013 3 5041 17 Jun 2013
Vietnam e-Visa/ Visa on Arrival ... By tayls on 16 Apr 2009 17 21068 6 Aug 2010
Vietnam Visa on arrival for Indian passport holders ... By jayanraj on 10 Nov 2009 2 7797 10 Nov 2009