Vietnam forum

ATM withdrawal limit in Vietnam

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

Before I arrived in Vietnam, everything I read (printed guidebooks and travelfish) suggested that there was a maximum withdrawal limit of 2,000,000 dong from ATMs in Vietnam. And sure enough, when I went to the ATM in Ha Tien and Can Tho, the limit was 2,000,000 and so I sucked it up, even though that's barely over $100 US and the per-transaction withdrawal fees with my bank are steep.
    However, when we went to a CITI bank ATM in Saigon, we were able to withdrawal 6,000,000 dong and it looked like we could have taken out 8 million or more if we wanted. I'm not sure if that's restricted to CITI or if you can also get larger withdrawals from HSBC and other non-Vietnamese banks.
    I suggest that you look around and try a couple before settling for a 2 million withdrawal if you want more cash. Cheers.

#1 Posted: 6/3/2009 - 20:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's great news - thanks for the report back.

#2 Posted: 7/3/2009 - 07:21

• Asphyxion

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2009

I used an ANZ ATM machine on the Hanoi airport. You could get 20.000.000 dong from the machine. There's another ANZ ATM machine on Le Thai To in Hanoi, i might get some money from there tomorrow and check its limit.

#3 Posted: 7/3/2009 - 22:33

• ngg18

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008

I know there is an ANZ ATM machine in HCMC which allows you to withdraw 4 million dong. It is located in district 1 inside the GO GO GO bar on Bui vien street

#4 Posted: 15/3/2009 - 14:43

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

ANZ Bank is by far the best bank in Vietnam. I too was offered 20,000,000VND at the ANZ ATM (Main Hanoi Branch on Hoan Kiem Lake). I exchanged my Thai Baht with them at the Hanoi Airport - a reciept was given. When I departed Hanoi for Seoul just this week, ANZ Exchange facilities were all closed (8PM), and I had to settle for Techcombank Exchange - I could only get USD and no receipt was given (even when asked for).

#5 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 12:45

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Yes, we have been able to withdraw large amounts from HSBC, Citi, and ANZ. My only peeve about ANZ ATMs is that they charge you 20,000 dong (in addition to what your home bank charges) and don't tell you this at the time of withdraw - it's only when you get your statement you see it. CITI charges the same 20,000 dong but is more upfront and tells you in advance.

#6 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 15:52

• basejump

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2008

20000 dong = A$1.67 .... cant complain about that - after all they are the ones providng the machine not your home bank ... however, agree it is better if you are told upfront

#7 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 19:58

• ruthjay

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2011

Just wanted to confirm these facts are still good 2 years on and add an update.

Hanoi - the main ANZ branch still has a 20 million limit although the withdrawal fee is now 40,000 VND. Other ANZ ATMs in the city seem to have a 4 million limit.

HCMC - the main ANZ branch near the financial tower has a 20 million limit, other ATMs in the city are 4 million and again a 40,000 fee. Citibank lets you withdraw 8 million with a 30,000 fee. HSBC seems to allow 5.5 or 5.6 million with a 55,000 fee for non-HSBC account holders.

Hope that helps someone out there!

#8 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 16:38

• ilaostours

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2011

[li]1: the government no longer allow the ppl change USD in jewelry shops. I can explain: firstly: the exchange rate in those shops are higher than the rate from the banks >>>> the ppl will change in the shops >>>> the banks lose big amount of foreign money, which is USD (we prefer USD) >>> dont have enuf USD for the import companies (the banks have to buy USD from outside VN when needed, which costs more) >>> the companies will go to the shops >>>> inflation. So from now on, if u change money in the shops and get caught by the police >>> a big fine and u will lose the amount u wanna change, they will take it.[/li]
    Secondly, the way the government trying to control the money and gold market doesnt work. why? because, when the ppl need USD, the banks dont wanna help >>> ppl go to the black market (sneaky of course), and still, the shops have better exchange rate. and USD more stable than VND ( 1$ = 19.000 vnd last year, now: 1$ = 21.000 vnd). and USD can be used and changed in all countries.

[li]2: i think maureenm lives and works in Vietnam. right, maureenm? _Vietnam tour
    [/li]

#9 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 17:13

• hsoa

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2010

The DongA bank branch on Pham Ngu Lao Street near De Tham Street in HCMC allowed a maximum of 10 million VND per transaction last week. The receipt shows no cost for this service. There is an announcement on the screen of the ATM that, in garbled English, may or may not say that there is no charge.

#10 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 21:48

• Advertisement

• hsoa

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2010

The DongA bank branch on Pham Ngu Lao Street near De Tham Street in HCMC allowed a maximum of 10 million VND per transaction last week. The receipt shows no cost for this service. There is an announcement on the screen of the ATM that, in garbled English, may or may not say that there is no charge.

#11 Posted: 5/5/2011 - 21:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
ATM max. withdrawal limit & fees? ... By altmtl on 12 Jun 2013 11 5931 3 Aug 2014