Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta and Cambodia

• Stigron

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009
    Location Australia

We are travelling in 3 weeks to Saigon then on to Ankor Wat. My agent in HaNoi has told me ....""Mekong : you will need a guide tour anyway cause you cant organise the boat trip..etc yourselves.

And in Siemreap: you still have to hire a guide and car to visit temples. ""

I would prefer to do this independantly as the cost and "dumb tourist" values are quite high.

We're experienced with Sth east Asia and I'd love some tips about getting from siagon - can tho-chau doc. I believ its a great place to stop a couple of days.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 16/3/2009 - 16:24

• Advertisement

• tuyet

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2009

done the mekong run down to cantho several times to see my girlfriend dont need guides used the my linh bus express you can book and pick up in bui vien street district 1 hcm.you dont need tour guides for trips up to the floating markets just wander down to the river you will find many boat owners willing to take you out. shop around for price but go very early to see the best trading..reccomend the buffet breakfast at the ninkeo 2 hotel best in vietnam..cantho to chau doc again by mai linh bus. not done that yet next trip in march. hope this helps

#2 Posted: 16/3/2009 - 18:16

• tuyet

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2009

just come back from siem reap again you can do it independantly get a moto 3 wheel frommyour guesthouse they are all experts on angor wat or so they say mine charged me 12us for the day its a short run out to angorhe took me to the different places of interest . worh taking a guide at angor when you get there unless you have done youe cambodian history.you can spend the day there then enjoy great food at night in siem reap...cheap hotels guesthouses along the riverside. stayed at the riverside hotel .quite nice staff andgood guide to angor but bloody hot at angor suncream for sure.

#3 Posted: 16/3/2009 - 18:36

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Stigron

What you've been told is partly right.

There are two options. Either, take an organised tour (quite OK, eg. Sinh Cafe - but only book from Saigon [hate using HCMC, prefer Saigon, more romantic]), or make your own way (OK if you're a sort of seasoned tourist).

The organised trip from Saigon takes you by bus to the Mekong (4 hours straight), puts you on an overpopulated boat mostly comprising day trippers to/from Saigon for a 'tour' of 'must see' places. They then give you the most horrible lunch, pack you onto another bus for a further 4 hours of travel to Chau Doc . Once there, youstay overnight and they place you onto the boat to Cambodia and say bye-bye.

So, if you can arrange to get yourself to Chau Doc, you can also arrange to buy a ticket on the trip to Cambodia.

The boat trip to Cambodia from Vietnam leaves Chao Doc (refer Lonely Planet p. 441: 9th Ed).

The trip is VERY worthwhile, and you get deposited in Phnom Penh.

At Phnom Penh, it is easy to get a bus to Siem Reap.

At Siem Reap, all tourists are obliged to use a tuk-tuk (or similar).

Before going there, read up and work out what you want to do. In this regard, see my contribution at:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/5252_is-it-necessary-to-get-a-guide-for-angkor-

cheers

Getting yourself to Chau Doc can also be an enjoyable experience, as long as you have enough time to get there from Saigon (HCMC).

#4 Posted: 20/3/2009 - 15:44

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

Posted from within Vietnam.

We just did the Mekong Delta on our own two weeks ago. It was very easy to arrange boats in Chau Doc and Can Tho - we wandered along the riverfront and the boat drivers found us. Local transport by bus/mini bus is fairly safe and quick. Mai Linh mini buses are fine if you don't have any luggage but if you're tall or have lots of luggage the big buses are better (the big orange bus run by Phrung Trang or something like that is recommended). Bus from Can Tho to HCMC was 70,000 dong and from Can Tho to Chau Doc is 50,000 in the Mai Linh express mini bus. HOpe that helps.

Also did Siem Reap/Angkor on our own. Very easy to organize. Do not go with a tour group unless you want to be lead around the sites instead of looking at what you want to look at.

#5 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 09:10

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Gee, am

You're having an amazing trip.

I envy you.

#6 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 09:25

• Stigron

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009
    Location Australia

Thanks to all who replied. Got some great info.

Only 13 more "get ups" to go.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 27/3/2009 - 14:06

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stigron

Great, eh?

I've got 4 wakey's (as Australian veteran's called them) till I depart: KL > Chiang Mai > overland > Chiang Khong > Gibbon Exp > Luang nam Tha > Luang Prabang > DBP > SaPa > HaNoi > ???

May bump into you. Will you be the one with the big smile?

cheers

#8 Posted: 27/3/2009 - 14:24

• aejae212

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

Hi -
    I've just inquired with an agency specializing in Mekong trips. They came back to me wit a customized 3 day itin starting in Saigon. Day 1: bus Saigon to My Tho, boat trip on Thien River, drive to Vinh Long where we homestay the night. Day 2: Car from Vinh Long-Can Tho- Chau Doc , visits at Cai Bei and Sam Mount, overnight in 2 star hotel in Chau Doc. Day 3 we make our way to Phnom Penh. Cost for this is $182USD pp, not including the additional $45 pp speed boat from Chau Doc to PP. Am I alone here is saying that this sounds REALLY $$$$$???
    My husband and I are traveling together with our young son; and I am beginning to think we want to do this on our own, rather than book thru a company.

#9 Posted: 1/4/2009 - 00:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi aejae212,

Yes that strikes me as very expensive. As long as you're comfortable roughing it a little while travelling, you could do that same trip solo for a fraction of the cost. ie.,

Bus from Saigon to My Tho - boat trip can be organised independently, though My Tho can be pricey - perhaps $20-25 for the boat -- less if you're lucky.

Bus from My Tho to Vinh Long . Vinh Long homestays can be arranged through freelancers on the river bank, or through the tourist office there. From memory we were offered a homestay for about $30 for the night.

Bus from Vinh Long to Can Tho -- I'd suggest breaking the trip here with an overnight stay and doing an early morning boat trip to the floating markets. Get a bus later that day to Chau Doc , overnight there and then get the speedboat the next morning to Phnom Penh -- any agent in Chau Doc can point you in the direction of the speedboat.

Hope that helps!

#10 Posted: 2/4/2009 - 08:07

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel via mekong delta to cambodia ... By netstar on 3 Jan 2007 3 3249 21 May 2010
Mekong Delta / Cambodia - 2 weeks itinerary help ... By kattkaa on 4 May 2012 1 1551 4 May 2012
2 Motorbikes wanted Mekong Delta/Cambodia ... By Salisubsila on 21 Apr 2012 4 611 14 May 2012
Overland (Mekong Delta) travel from Cambodia to Vieatnam ... By clareabell on 9 May 2006 1 1919 9 May 2006
Mekong Delta - doing it on your own ... By pjsolomon76 on 27 Feb 2009 5 6541 18 Mar 2009
Mekong Delta ... By brinner on 28 Sep 2006 15 4252 29 Nov 2006
B&B in Can Tho (Mekong Delta) ... By naturemekong on 7 Nov 2008 1 3159 7 Nov 2008
Mekong Delta ... By Vero123 on 7 Jul 2011 9 6666 18 Sep 2011
Mekong Delta ... By mrbangkok on 26 Oct 2009 1 2490 26 Oct 2009
Ben Tre Mekong Delta ... By oscarcat on 27 Jan 2010 0 3387 27 Jan 2010