Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How Challening is Fansipan

• ChrZap1703

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2009

Hi All !

I'm going to Vietnam in a couple of days and I'll spend the first two weeks travelling the country with a mate, but for the last week, I plan to go to Sapa for some trekking. I took a look at various companies offering virtually all the same trek around the villages, but now I came across ET Pumpkin, which also offer treks up to Mount Fansipan. Doing this seems really tempting, I just thought maybe some people who have done Fansipan could give me some advice on how challenging it actually is. I did the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way in Scotland last year and did quite fine.

And, while i'm on the topic: Anybody else who would like to join me for some trekking in Sapa ? I'll be in Hanoi from April 3rd and stay in Vietnam til the 11th.

#1 Posted: 16/3/2009 - 20:00

• Advertisement

• trailwalker

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Fansipan is not challenging at all, just keep its easy as trekking/walking up & down hills. Fansipan “Climbing” does not demand high technical skills of the climbers, but a certain level of fitness and endurance is essential. It has 2 routes: one takes 3days, one takes 4days (or it is possible to be do with 2 days if you are in good physical shape). Of cause you have to hire guide, porters

The trekking day: A typical trekking day start at about 8am after breakfast. And finish at about 3pm.

What to bring:
    Trekking boot or Gaiter (Waterproof and breathable gaiter, used for jungle trek, because u have to cross some streams), sun block, hat, anti-insect repellent, warm clothes, rain coat, toiletries, original passport, headlight (or torch), water bottle, your own Sleeping bag (sleeping bags from travel agent are ..???.. smell disgusting. I thought so many people used…and they no be washed)...
    if u need more information, glad sending to my mail: trailwalker84@live.com

#2 Posted: 16/3/2009 - 21:08

• mixwa

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

I have just done it yesterday in one day
    Start 6 am for 9 hours
    If you are in good shape you do it in one day
    If not, in 2 days
    You can contact my guide
    sansp88@hotmail.com

Mickael

#3 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 09:56

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

The challenge is resisting the urge to call it fancipants.

#4 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 19:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.