Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

First time going to Vietnam - spur of the moment

• seany

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2009

I've decided to go to Vietnam in a few days for a short trip, I'm in Singapore at the moment just came back from Thailand and decided to stay a week here before heading back to Australia. There are cheap flights to Saigon/Hanoi - I'm after a pretty specific experience though as I plan to explore this country a bit more later on this year.

Basically I would like to stay at or near a monastery in the south where I could just have some real peace and quiet to myself for awhile. Anyone have any ideas ? Recommendations?

Even if it's staying in a hostel/guest house and going to the Monastery or a daily basis to meditate and not have many disruptions..any advice would be wonderful thanks.

#1 Posted: 28/3/2009 - 22:30

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Seany

Vietnam is SO SO SO different to Thailand.

You will be in for such a culture shock that even if you did get to a monastery (and there are not that many), they'll not be like those in either Thailand or Australia.

Most Vietnamese pursue a Confuscious religion.

I don't like your chances.

But, there are Buddhist places in Singapore, go ask them about meditative places near Singapore (ie. Malaysia / Indonesia, etc.)

cheers

#2 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 15:28

• seany

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2009

do you think I should go back to Thailand again then ? I'm just looking for something in a not so busy location...

flights to / from Thailand are still cheap from Singapore. Thanks for the reply

#3 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 15:35

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

seany

It really depends on your motivation and focus.

If you want something realy quiet, it's just around the corner: Malaysia.

For example the island of Pulau Tioman may now be OK (its no good in the wet season that ends about February). There are flights there from singapore.

Its really upbeat in some parts and so so quiet and laid back in other parts. Get some information from a tourist agency.

I don't know where you were in Thailand, so don't know what to suggest there.

If you want something spiritual, then goto:

http://www.focussingapore.com/information-singapore/singapore-religions/buddhism.html

There is an address on that page that you can get more info, and a list of monasteries in Singapore.

The same link will get you to a host of Buddhist centres in nations all around Asia.

Hope this helps

cheers

http://www.buddhist-tourism.com/countries/malaysia/temples-monasteries/

#4 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 16:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.