Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hue HoiAn MySon & DaNang in 6 days Realistic?

• larryp643

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2009

Flying to Hue Apr 26 for 3 days, then want to take bus to Hoi An late afternoon or early evening Apr 28th and stay in Hoi An for two days with one day side trip to My Son. Then take bus to Da Nang evening of Apr 30. Stay in Da Nang overnight and see the Museum of Cham Sculpture morning of May 1st. Then fly to HCMC (already have res)afternoon of May 1st. Is this realistic and possible especially with regard to the bus trips? Also is May 1st a problem be/c of the holiday? Thanks for any info & help. --larry

#1 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 22:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Larry,

Hue to Hoi An is around four hours (depending on mode of transport). I'd lean towards one less day in Hue and one more in Hoi An -- but otherwise looks doable.

#2 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 07:44

• larryp643

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2009

Thanks for your reply. I may keep the guest house reservations that I have but try to cut one day from the Hue schedule. Do you or anyone out there know what the times are for buses from Hue to Hoi An and also from Hoi An to Da Nang ? Lonely Planet says there are 6 buses daily from Hue and that Da Nang is the first stop, 3 hrs away, and somewhere else that Hoi An to Da Nang is a one hour trip, which jives with the 4 hr Hue to Hoi An time duration. But need actual departure times for both Hue south to Hoi An and Hoi An north to Da Nang.

#3 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 13:46

• keatherley

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Larry,

I don't know how long the bus takes from Hue to Hoi An , but the bus doesn't take an hour from Hoi An to Da Nang. It takes only 45 minutes to drive a motorbike from Hoi An to Da Nang, so it must be shorter on the bus. Maybe I should have waited to post, but I am going to check it out for you tomorrow at work (I live in Da Nang) and I'll let you know what I can find out.

#4 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 13:51

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Hi'

It's very good except departure time at Hue for going to Hoi An.
    You wrote "late evening" as your departure at Hue, but it'too late for going to Hoi An.

You had better take a "Open Tour Bus" to Hoi An/Nha Trang leaving Hue around 13:00~14:00PM not evening but afternoon.

These open tour buses are(not only 1 bus but many buese operated many tour companies) with very cheap price and very convenient for tourists heading to North and south, especially south---Hoi An, Nha Trang, Da Nang(on the way to Hoi An) .
    Open tour buses stop and leave the center of touristy areas in any cities and towns, of course at Hue and Hoi An.
    you can book very easily at your hotel or guesthause or tour desk along the road.

So OP never miss this "open tour bus" for your trip, and you never need to change others!

Bye!

#5 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 14:54

• larryp643

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2009

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's raining cats and dogs here in Bangkok at the moment with some lightning -- my signal to turn off and unplug my computer. But for the moment fairly distant. Anyway, to the point, I did cut one day off the Hue stay and will only be there about a day and a half. Then take an 8 AM bus to Hoi An which is supposed to arrive at 12:30, but don't know where this bus station is. References to it at Kim tours & travel. And don't quite understand this Open Tour thing. Are these different bus companies operating regularly scheduled buses? If so, is there ONE station or one for every bus company? Come to think of it, they operated somewhat like this in Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo. But at least the bus companies were close together. Also have NOT found out the schedule for buses from Hoi An to Da Nang , but need to be there by Thursday evening April 30th. Anyone know if the Champa museum in Da Nang is open on May 1st, a holiday? Lightning closer, so goodbye!

#6 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 15:47

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

Apr.30 is a national holiday as the most important memorial day for Vietnamese as reberation and victory of South Vietnam 1975, so Apr.30 is a big holiday than May.1 International Labor day.
    But I'm not sure Champa museum in Da Nang is open on or not May 1st, sorry.

By the way, as for open tour buses operated tour companies are "regular bus" having daily service in each and those are all eave and arrive touristy area at a corner of Hoi An 's old street where there are houses of world heritage having many travel agencies are, and open tour buses never leave and arrive bus station in Hue and Hoi An.
    (In those cities bus stations,not 1 b/s but several ones, are very far from city or town center

But never mind it---.

In Hoi An, your bus of Kim Cafe will arrive at a branch desk or a tour desk related with Kim Cafe, also never arrive bus station outside of the town. Other companies' open tour bus are the same but arival points are slightly different each other, and before reaching there , buses stop at a new area having many hotels and GHs very new and beautiful and confortable where the government and local government concentrated newly built hotels and GHs at a place for avoiding being built in the world heritage area.

As for transports to Da Nang is as below.
    ①by taxi---about 30 minuites from Hoi An( near your GH) to Da Nang is not so far not expensive and any time OK as your request.
    ②Air port bus---this bus is the most convenient transport for going to Da Nang airport.You can book at “oi An Travel” in “Hoi An Hotel”.
    ③Tourist bus---this bus also very convenient. and if you book through your GH or an other tour desk in the town, you will be picked up at you GH.
    Buses leave from the morning to the evening(or at the night) at different times.
    ④City bus(shuttele bus)between market in Hoi An and market in Da Nang also avalable, but for tourist who doesn't intend to stay at Da Nang, this city bus is not so convenient because after arriving Da Nang he has to take another transport for going to the Airport. But it's many from eraly morning 05:30AM to the evening and the cost is the cheapest one.

About other things, please expect reply from others.

Bye.

#7 Posted: 5/4/2009 - 19:55

• larryp643

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2009

Thanks for all the great information!

#8 Posted: 6/4/2009 - 22:34

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Can I ask a related question?

I was thinking of getting the train from Hue to Da Nang , since I believe this is a really scenic route, and then going from Da Nang to Hoi An.

Is it easy to go from Da Nang railway station to Hoi An, or will I need to get a transfer to Da Nang's bus station - and if so, where is the bus station in Da Nang relative to its train station?

#9 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 18:48

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

From Da Nang railway to Hoi An is easily done by minibus, taxi or motorbike.

#10 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 08:39

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Daily bus from Hue to Danang and Hoian ... By Martinexpert on 13 Jul 2014 1 271 14 Jul 2014