Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ha Long Bay Independent

• Asheai

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2009

So I have gone through a bunch of old threads but I am still not 100% sure about how to do this.

From Hanoi, you can catch a bus to Ha Long City where it is possible to catch a ferry to Cat Ba Island? Is this actually a ferry or is it a 'daytrip' on an organized tour boat?

From Cat Ba Island, is it possible to find Kayak tours that last overnight? Just kayaking, I mean, around the islands? How much should I expect this to cost, if it indeed exists?

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 14:50

• Advertisement

• Asheai

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2009

I'm sorry, I also wanted to ask - how many days should I budget for this? I am so far planning only 1 day in Hanoi, and then 3 full days on Cat Ba island. I would like to do an overnight kayak trip (if possible), maybe some rockclimbing, and also renting a motorbike to scoot around the island for the day... also interested in treking inland in the jungle areas... although i am aware this is probably too much for the short time i have there!

#2 Posted: 7/4/2009 - 14:55

• tingers

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

you would probably be best catching a bus to hai phong and taking the ferry from there. i've done this a couple of times and it's pretty easy. can't remember the details exactly but you take the local bus from hanoi and then a taxi from hai phong to the pier. ask around when you get to hai phong. the ferry is a ferry - it is not a tour boat. it'll probably take the better part of a day to get there.

accommodation there is really easy to find, there's guesthouses all along the main strip.

sorry, can't help you with info on kayaking from cat ba. i did do kayaking in halong bay recently but that was with an organsied trip from hanoi (which was really good). enjoy cat ba.

#3 Posted: 9/4/2009 - 13:50

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Asheai,

I took a bus from Gia Lam bus station, Hanoi, to Ha Long City and caught a tour boat to Cat Ba island, which took about 4 hours. Not sure if there's an actual ferry to the island from Ha Long City - perhaps from Hai Phong. Also not sure about kayaking from Cat Ba but I'm sure if you ask around at the guesthouses, someone will be happy to take you on a kayaking tour. That being said, it may be difficult if you're hoping to do the kayaking part independentely, but maybe you can just rent a kayak.

Good luck

#4 Posted: 13/4/2009 - 10:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.