Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

BEWARE - China Visas in Hanoi

• buddsabroaad

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

We just got back from the Chinese Embassy in Hanoi where we were denied a tourist visa. We were told that a new regulation, enacted within the past month, does not allow Hanoi to issue tourist visas, only working visas. We were told that we had to go to Ho Chi Minh City to get a tourist visa.

We are from the US, but others from UE countries were getting the same story.

Oh well, I guess it's on to Thailand...

#1 Posted: 14/4/2009 - 12:42

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If I were you, I would talk to a travel agent in Hanoi. I have seen signs there advertising Chinese visas (I understand that agents have better luck than individuals with the embassy). Try my friend Diep at Adventure Indochina on Hang Buom (an extension of Ma May St.)

#2 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 02:59

• buddsabroaad

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

We've talked to a few travel agencies and have gotten the same info. They have to go to the embassy in HCMC as well. Typically it's 6 days tot get and over $150.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 09:49

• spakky

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2009

hi there. Does anyone know if this is still the case? Was planning to get Chinese tourist visas in Hanoi in December so would be v.grateful if anyone could confirm whether it's possible or not? thanks.

#4 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 22:31

• spakky

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2009

hi there. Does anyone know if this is still the case? Was planning to get Chinese tourist visas in Hanoi in December so would be v.grateful if anyone could confirm whether it's possible or not? thanks.

#5 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 22:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.