Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Fastest way from Hoi An to Mekong

• henski

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2009

I am planning a easy rider trip from Dalat up to Hoi An.
    From Hoi an I need to work out the fastest way to get down to the Mekong, preferably avoiding going back into Saigon.

I can’t find any info online to show direct flights from Danang to Rach Gia, is that correct?
    Aiming to get to Can Tho or Ben Tre.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/4/2009 - 18:45

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The Can Tho Airport just opened about 2 months ago, but the only flights are from Hanoi. Flying out of Danang to the Delta you'd have to transfer in Saigon.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 12:54

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

By the way, Can Tho is quite a large city - suggest you go to Ben Tre for the real Delta!

#3 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 12:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Quickest would be transit to Da Nang then flight to Saigon, then bus to Can Tho or Ben Tre . Agree with Daawgon re Ben Tre.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2009 - 13:53

• henski

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2009

Thanks Guys. I’m finding info on solo travel in between cities in the Mekong really difficult.
    The rest of my trip is fairly sorted.

So far I have narrowed down how to travel from Saigon to Ben tre (or Saigon to Soc Tranh) from the Mien Tay bus station.

Can I ask if anyone has travelled direct to Ha Tien from Ben Tre? Or to Ha Tien direct from Soc Trang or Tra Vingh? (as I am going into Cambodia from there, trusting visa on arrival will be available)

I believe I may not be able to get to Ha Tien direct and will have to get a bus to Can Tho first, but the details on how to do it solo are hard to find.
    I’m trying my best to stay away from the package tour crowd but don’t want to end up completely lost.

Also, can anyone recommend which town they preferred to see in a day trip? Soc Trang or Tra Vingh?
    For local sights, people, and that lost in translation feeling for an aussie bloke who has never been to Asia

Thanks for your help

#5 Posted: 19/4/2009 - 22:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ben Tre is a dead-end destination -- all buses backtrack to My Tho (where there is a large car ferry) before heading elsewhere. I got a bus from Ben Tre to My Tho, but the bus was actually going to Soc Trang , so if I'd stayed on the bus I would have got there -- eventually.

If your end destination is Ha Tien , then you could go Saigon - My Tho - Ben Tre - My Tho - Vinh Long - Tra Vinh - Vinh Long - Can Tho - Ha Tien . Basically all the provincial capitals are interconnected by local buses (I know there's little detailed info on Travelfish regarding this -- I lost my notes!)

Soc Trang is more interesting than Tra Vinh, but it takes longer to reach and is home to mosquitos the size of elephants -- I liked Ben Tre a lot.

It's really not as confusing as it sounds -- it's a great part of Vietnam, and once you're outside Can Tho and My Tho tourists are few and far between.

#6 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 08:49

• kerouac2

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2009

Going back through Saigon is the fastest and easiest way.

#7 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 03:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.