Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc Island - getting there and things to do

• mindy

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2009

Hello! I'll be in Vietnam for a few weeks for field study and then I plan to leave my group and travel by myself with a trip to Cambodia before returning to Vietnam for some relaxing time on the beach on Phu Quoc Island.

What is the best way to get from Siem Reap to Phu Quoc? I've read some of the other threads but it seems people have a bit more time - I have 7 days for Siem Reap, Phu Quoc and a day in Ho Chi Minh before my plane back to the states leaves. I'm not sure if I want to lose an entire day to travel. Is the only flights from Siem Reap to Phu Quoc through Ho Chi Minh?

Also, what would people recommend doing on Phu Quoc besides sitting on the beach? I have a guidebook that has a few suggestions but I'd like to hear from people that have been there because typically they'll find things to do that the guidebook doesn't offer. Has anyone rented a motorbike and traveled around the island? It seems you need to hire a driver ... this is a strange question but I've never traveled with a driver before - what does s/he do while you're wondering around taking pictures? How much should I budget for a motorbike and driver to take me around the island? Also what's a good tip?

Any other advice, places people have stayed, etc is also much appreciated. I'm looking at the Beach Club because it seems affordable, clean and right on the beach.

Thanks for any and all advice! This site has turned out to be incredibly helpful as I plan my trip.

#1 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 01:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Only way to fly to Phu Quoc is via HCM.

I motorbiked around the island -- it was great -- no need to take a driver with you (unless you can't ride a motorbike of course!)

Beach Club is a great spot and the owner is a goldmine of info -- I highly recommend it.

#2 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 08:55

• buddsabroaad

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'll second the advice to rent a motorcycle. You can get them anywhere, pay no more than $6 or so (100,000 Dong) and go see the entire island at your own pace, wherever you want... We had one of our greatest Vietnam experiences doing this - stopped at a beach that was off the beaten path, met a family with a little shop right there on the water, ended up having dinner and several bottles of rice wine with them. We don't speak Vietnamese and they didn't speak English - it was awesome!!

Other than that, hit the night market for dinner. Super cheap and super good. Eden Bar was a nice spot too. There's countless places to stay and eat once you hit that main strip to the south of town. Have fun!!

#3 Posted: 20/4/2009 - 13:28

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

I'm on Phu Quoc at the moment.

I came from Kep in Cambodia and got a moto for $10 the whole way to Ha Tien, I managed to miss the 8am ferry as my driver was an hour late picking me up, so rode down to Ho Chong and managed to blag my way on to a local cargo ship! Was great fun and much cheaper than flying!

#4 Posted: 21/4/2009 - 17:07

• minhnguyen1-

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2009

Hi Mindy
    everybody said all i want to say. I just have alitle information. It's great for you to travel by mortobike yourself but you must be sure the itineraries, also the "traffic rule" in Vietnam. It's more difficult with strange people.
    And about : what does s/he do while you're wondering around taking pictures? The answer is they do nothing or will help you if you need any helping. ofcourse, it depends on their ability.
    Goodluck

#5 Posted: 22/4/2009 - 14:15

• mindy

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2009

Thank you everyone!! Your advice is really appreciated. I contacted Beach Club and was disappointed to hear that they're closing down for renovations. There's a chance they'll be open in June when I'll be on Phu Quoc so I'm crossing my fingers - they definitely have the best rating and price on the island.

So ... if I don't know how to drive a motorbike should I still take the chance renting one and trying to figure out how to drive it? Do I need an international drivers license?

Buddsabroaad - did you circumvent the entire island? About how long was the trip with stops and such?

Thanks again everyone!!

#6 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 09:05

• mindy

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2009

Oh and I forgot - it seems that June isn't a high tourist season due to the heat and that its the start of the rainy season - is that a correct impression? I don't want to not be able to get affordable accommodations because I'm waiting to hear about the Beach Club reopening (I definitely can't afford the $20-50 range).

Thanks again! Everyone has been so helpful and I really appreciate it!

#7 Posted: 25/4/2009 - 09:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone stayed at Thanh Quoc (Phu Quoc Island) ... By Roody82 on 4 Dec 2008 3 4005 5 Dec 2008