Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

how rainy in July/August for travel?

• truesd10

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2009
    Location United States

hey guys,
    This site has been great for info so here is another question! My boyfriend and I have just thought about going to Vietnam during our 6 weeks we will be in SE Asia. We want to go for about 2 weeks at the end of July/early August. But I know this is rainy season - so how rainy will it get and will be a total downer to try and travel during this time?
    I was thinking of staying South since I read the middle and north can get pretty bad - but is this true? What do some people recommend - we are open and want to see some of the country while we are there. An suggestions/tips would be great!

#1 Posted: 27/4/2009 - 10:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi - glad you like the site!

Rainy season is characterised by heavy rainfall, for a few hours, on most days. It is mostly not all day torrential affairs.

There's a summary of Vietnam's weather on this page:
    http://www.travelfish.org/vietnam-weather.php

#2 Posted: 28/4/2009 - 09:23

• umelda

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2011

Hi there! I am also planning a trip to Sapa and Halong bay during August . But it seems like its going to be cold and wet. Just about how bad does it get? I dont have any other time to go there! Would you strongly advise not to go ?
    Thanks

#3 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 14:04

• duong

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Actually, June - Sep is our typhoon season in the North + Center of Vietnam thus it is not very convenience to travel during this time as the weather is quite hot and could be rain heavily.

The best time for travelling will be around Oct - Apr every year.

#4 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 11:28

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

We travelled through Vietnam late July / early August in 2009 and were living in Hanoi last summer. The weather when we were travelling was fine and only really annoyed us in HCMC. We went from North to South and it was as follows: OK in Hanoi but cloudy (it usually is) and Halong was cloudy and a bit rainy (there was a mini typhoon), Hue and Hoi An were lovely (on the beach in Hoi An), Jungle Beach (north of Nha Trang) was hot and sunny, Dalat was the first time we hit bad rain, Mui Ne there was some rain but not enough to get in the way of hitting the beach, then HCMC it rained hard every afternoon (so you just learn to avoid going out at that time) and the Mekong was a bit dull and damp. The consistent factor was that it was hot througout! It will certainly not be cold in any part of the country at that time of year - even Sapa (went last July and it was beautiful weather).

Last year, living here, we were surprised by how little rain there was in summer. Yes, there was some flooding when there were a couple of heavy rainfalls, but overall it was just hot and sticky. It's wetter in the south.

Weather in Vietnam is variable, and there have been some particularly rainy bouts which have caused travel problems - for example, in Central Vietnam towards the end of last year - but I wouldn't let it put you off. Anyhow, it's rainy season in lots of places at that time of year - Cambodia was very wet.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 14:33

• vietnamtrav-
    elex

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2011

It is hot and humid during this time. A lot of rain but mainly in the central part (Hue/Hoi An)

Cheers
    Vietnamtravelex

#6 Posted: 9/4/2011 - 23:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel buddies to travel to Thailand in July or August ... By asifpatel on 13 Apr 2013 33 5001 14 Jul 2013
Looking for cycling travel companion July-August ... By AnaU on 22 May 2013 0 1489 22 May 2013
29/f travel in thailand india july august ... By lunallenagr on 12 Jan 2012 6 1832 26 Jul 2012
Honeymoon during rainy August. Please help!! :) ... By yuree830 on 2 Apr 2009 3 2912 2 Apr 2009
Any travel companion for SE Asia in June/July/August?... ... By mrnice88 on 9 May 2010 4 3227 23 Nov 2011
Java in July...too rainy? ... By comtam3000 on 11 Jul 2014 6 488 20 Jul 2014
Koh Chang rainy in july? Tips for better stay then ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 2 2368 23 Jun 2010
Thailand/Laos 3rd July-6th August Full moon Party - 3rd July ... By lydmac on 30 Jan 2012 8 2111 13 Apr 2012
Travel companion for Northern Thailand & Northern/Central Laos in July/August ... By msfrench001 on 21 Jun 2010 0 2878 21 Jun 2010