HaNoi travel tips

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hello

For those interested, here are two travel tips for HaNoi.

- - - - - -

Travel tip 1.

There is a shuttle bus between HaNoi airport and the Old Quarter operated for Vietnam Airlines. The cost is 25000VN dong in early am/pm and 35,000VN dong during the middle of the day.

A taxi will cost about 175,000VN dong for a one way trip.

The Vietnam Airlines shuttle bus (a 15 seater Toyota van) picks up outside the Domestic terminal about every half hour.

The bus leaves from outside the Vietnam Airlines office on P. Quang Trung (at the corner of P. Trang Thi) with the booking office directly opposite the Vietnam Airlines office (generally) on the half hour.

You can pre-pay or pay on enter. But, for pay on enter, priority is given to Vietnam Airlines passengers.

The trip takes anywhere between a half to one hour - depending on traffic!

- - - - - -

Travel tip 2.

There are many many taxi companies in HaNoi.

Many have VERY suspect meters and Travelfish is replete with stories about taxi scams in HaNoi.

There is apparently one company that is 'honest' (if that can ever be a measure in Vietnam).

There is only one taxi company that locals use: Hanoi Taxis.

Don't be fooled with Hanoi Tourist Taxi, or Tourist Hanoi Taxi.

Remember that if you want a taxi (and it can be a very cheap way for local travel) ONLY use Hanoi Taxis.

- - - - - - -

Cheers

#1 Posted: 27/4/2009 - 15:08

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

There are other bus services at Noibai that one can take into the central city - the Kumho and Jetstar buses, and also at 25,000VND (they operate during daylight hours only)

#2 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 00:37

• waterbeo

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

:)) I myself prefer Mai Linh taxi.
    From NoiBai to the city center, it's a half cheaper as from city to the airport. :)
    To other taxi company, a package from the airport to city or vice versa, normally at VND250000/trip.

#3 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 00:18

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

EVERYBODE

waterbeo

is a 'would be' travel agent.

Mai Linh taxi is renowned as being the worst taxi operator. Some years ago, I went to a cafe in a Hanoi taxi. The meter showed 16,000VN dong.

I grabbed a Mai Linh taxi for the return. The meter for the same distance showed 140,000VN dong. I told the driver to call the police as he was cheating. Fortunately he drove off. Others have said they've not been so lucky.

NEVER go in a Mai Linh taxi.

cheers

#4 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 06:31

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

Mai Linh are terrible.

#5 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 16:46

• chithanh119

Joined Travelfish
    15th October, 2008

Thanks for your nice tip

#6 Posted: 9/5/2009 - 11:09

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Brucemoon:
    Second all that --- used Ha Noi Taxi a few times with no problems. Mai Linh, though, ripped off coming back from the Ethnography Museum and dropped well short of destination.

Happy Trails!

#7 Posted: 17/5/2009 - 10:25

• Vxh

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2010

Not sure about Hanoi (personally I prefer Saigon over Hanoi) but as far as in Saigon, MaiLinh & Vinasun has been my preferred taxis. Best customer service thus far within Saigon and have not had one that cheated me the whole time I was there(1 month). I'm not really sure how reliable Mailinh is in Hanoi but personal experience has shown that Mailinh is good in Saigon & outside Saigon. I have gotten scammed by some kind of green color(fully green) taxi in Hanoi, his meter was flashing like mad. I winked at my friend and requested the driver to pull over quickly. Keep an eye on the meter and how fast it goes up from various taxi rides and you will be able to spot the crooked ones easily.

If you ever get in an argument with the taxi, tell them you will call the police right now if they continue to harass you. If that doesn't scare them away, walk to a nearby restaurant or hotel and request that they call the cop(this should usually scare them away already). Bring an unlocked cellphone with you and buy a SIM for a local number( fairly cheap). You can use your cellphone to call the police or scare them with it. Most crooked taxi driver will not stick around in the present of local police(some police will help if you tip them :P...).

#8 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 11:01

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Personally, I've never had a problem with Mai Linh in Hanoi, and was told they were reliable. Guess I must just be lucky! Had trouble with other operators though - we've now taken to agreeing a price up front when travelling late at night. It might cost a few '000 more but at least you don't have to worry about it and won't end up jumping out in the middle of nowhere at midnight.

When we have been scammed we've either just got out and not paid or told him we're getting out and negotiated a fixed price for the journey at that point.

As previously said - you just need to keep an eye on the meter and shout up if you can see it's speeding.

#9 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 13:26

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam

Personally, I've never had a problem with Mai Linh in Hanoi, and was told they were reliable. Guess I must just be lucky! Had trouble with other operators though - we've now taken to agreeing a price up front when travelling late at night. It might cost a few '000 more but at least you don't have to worry about it and won't end up jumping out in the middle of nowhere at midnight.

When we have been scammed we've either just got out and not paid or told him we're getting out and negotiated a fixed price for the journey at that point.

As previously said - you just need to keep an eye on the meter and shout up if you can see it's speeding.

#10 Posted: 9/4/2010 - 13:26

• Advertisement

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

You can also get the regular buses around Hanoi. The number 2 bus is particularly useful, going out past the temple of Literature and the Army museum.

Bus 14 goes to the museum of ethnography and goes about every 10 minutes, leaving from the top of Ho An Kim lake. Get a bus map and go out exploring, just to see a whole bunch of different areas of hanoi; it's a big city and so different away from the tourist area.

Buses cost 3000vnd. For 5ooovnd you can go to Bat Trang pottery village or Coa Loa.

#11 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 19:25

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam

BTW - shuttle buses to and from the airport (either Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar or the private ones) are now 30,00VND.

#12 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 14:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Land travel tips pleeeeease: Saigon to Hanoi ... By oranjelamb on 12 Aug 2007 10 6696 13 Jun 2011