Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

mekong delta suggestions?

• demoncleaner

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2009

Hey everyone,

After some deliberation, my girlfriend and I are making a loop into Vietnam and spending more time there than Thailand.
    We are taking the boat down the Mekong to Chau Doc, spending a couple days there hanging out before setting on down to Phu Quoc for a week either via Ha Tien or Rach Gia (we'll see when we are there how connections work out)
    We plan on taking some time on the way back, a couple days in Rach Gia, Vinh long, Can tho, Ben Tre.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the area.
    We are keen on maybe spending some time hanging out in verdant areas, boating on canals, biking in around orchards that kind of classic mekong thing.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 30/4/2009 - 13:03

• Advertisement

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

My wife and I hired some guys with motorbikes to take us from Chau Doc to Ha Tien stayed overnight then on to Hon Chong . There was a good ferry from Hon Chong to Phu Quoc (Nov 08). Then on the way back go via Rach Gia , as you have said, to complete the loop. Chau Doc is great, so to is Hon Chong but quiet and Rach Gia has got a nice "down to earth" feel as well. You can do any trip you want once you are there and it is easy to arrange with locals and hotels en route. Get between places on the Mai Linh buses and check out this site and also reidontravel.com for some other ideas. Enjoy!

#2 Posted: 30/4/2009 - 15:46

• Stigron

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009
    Location Australia

Hello,
    Just got back from Phu Quoc and all places in between. (Was there last week)

You can get Mekong Delta tours easily and cheaply over there. It's quite big and well impressive but big.

Phu Quock is great!!!. We went from rach gia and yeah I would have liked more time there. Vinh Long was interesting but we didn't stop there. Can Tho is the next big place.

Brush up on your communication skills as english is not that well spoken down there.

Baots were my favourite and most comfortable mode of transport.

Have a great time.

#3 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 15:14

• demoncleaner

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2009

Thanks for the replies.

We have read good things on Rach Gia on this site, reidontravel didnt seem as impressed, but since its on the way we may as well have a look see. We have about 3 weeks for Phu Quoc and the Delta so we are hoping to have a great end to our trip.

Its good to know bus and boat access makes it easy to travel about.

Thanks again

#4 Posted: 2/5/2009 - 23:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've got a softspot for Rach Gia -- it's certainly not overflowing with stuff to do, but I was stuck there for a couple of days due to bad weather and the flights being full, so I certainly got the lay of the land! It's like most small Vietnamese towns -- ample place to hang out with a book/coffee/beer etc while you wait for the weather to improve.

I was very taken with the market at Rach Soi -- only worth going to if you're stuck in RachGia as I was, but early morning, the market was absolutely heaving and was very interesting (and yes, pretty grotty!)

If anything, Ha Tien is perhaps a more interesting place, as you can visit Hon Chong from there... but sounds like you've got enough time to fit a few places in.

Also agree with Stigron regarding lack of English -- a phrasebook will come in handy.

Stigron, which legs did you do by boat?

#5 Posted: 4/5/2009 - 09:45

• beachgirl

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Just want to say you need to make sure you allow enough time for travelling around the Delta. While it looks small on the map, it can take ages to get around.

not saying it isn't worth it, it is - just be sure to allow enough time.

#6 Posted: 4/5/2009 - 16:10

• demoncleaner

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2009

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I will be sure to carry a phrasebook in my travels. I am also planning on getting some Pimsleur MP3 and printouts for the trip. I figure there will be lots of time on planes trains and boats, and not much on TV if stuck inside due to rain.

We will plan accordingly for travel times around the delta, we didnt want to go too far a day and just take it in at our own pace.

I'm getting pretty excited, leave on Friday for Bangkok and going through laos and cambodia. Its been a long cold winter in the arctic and looking forwards to some sun, fun , culture and great food before forest fire season.

Cheers

#7 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 00:14

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Talking about language MP3s World Nomads have a free Vietnamese language download in a few different formats. Includes useful phrases like "Don't shoot, the drugs aren't mine!"

#8 Posted: 5/5/2009 - 07:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mekong Delta 4 days - suggestions? ... By arianna1511 on 8 Sep 2013 2 1646 13 Sep 2013
mekong delta help ... By uktravelman on 3 Oct 2009 1 2447 4 Oct 2009
Mekong Delta ... By brinner on 28 Sep 2006 15 4252 29 Nov 2006
Mekong Delta ... By dutoy on 26 Feb 2007 1 2765 5 Mar 2007
Mekong Delta - Sa Dec ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 0 3025 13 Sep 2008
Mekong Delta ... By mrbangkok on 26 Oct 2009 1 2490 26 Oct 2009
Mekong Delta - doing it on your own ... By pjsolomon76 on 27 Feb 2009 5 6541 18 Mar 2009
B&B in Can Tho (Mekong Delta) ... By naturemekong on 7 Nov 2008 1 3159 7 Nov 2008
Ben Tre Mekong Delta ... By oscarcat on 27 Jan 2010 0 3387 27 Jan 2010
Mekong Delta ... By OregonDuck541 on 30 May 2014 2 471 31 May 2014