Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hotel warning in Saigon

Posted by Mwags on 3/5/2009 at 14:36

Posted from within Vietnam.

Ive been in Vietnam for about a month now and just wanted to give a heads up to people about a not very good hotel in Ho Chi Minh City.

The hotel is called Xinh Hotel and its at the Pham Ngu Lao end of Mini Hotel alley.

The staff are very rude and as soon as you leave you room let themselves in. We went to a restaurant next door and went back ten mins later to get something to find they had been in our room.

Also we asked them to do some laundry for us, they told us we could get it back at 10am. We finally got it back about midday after seeing one of the staff was asleep on the floor with it. While talking to the manager about this he walked away while I was talking to him to talk to someone else.

Its not a great hotel and Im sure there are some much nicer ones in the area.

Xinh Mini hotel alley

#1 Mwags has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by beachgirl on 4/5/2009 at 16:11

So you have nothing else to say? I don't understand people who join a site, make one post complaining about something and have nothing else to say! There are crappy places all over the world - why not move somewhere else and tell people about something you did that you actually enjoyed.

sigh.

#2 beachgirl has been a member since 25/4/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by mikethediver on 15/5/2010 at 23:29

Hi beach girl,
I think posts highlighting bad hotels, tour companies etc are very useful. The more people who are made aware of a bad hotel or operator and can avoid them the better as far as I can see.

I for one write them down and if not avoiding them altogether, I a very careful checking them out. After all, if I only want to hear 'happy' tales I can read a sales brochure.

Also, the more people who contribute to this board, the more useful it becomes and if people can do this without receiving criticism concerning their posts the more others will be encouraged to contribute.

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by mikethediver on 15/5/2010 at 23:30

Hi beach girl,
I think posts highlighting bad hotels, tour companies etc are very useful. The more people who are made aware of a bad hotel or operator and can avoid them the better as far as I can see.

I for one write them down and if not avoiding them altogether, I a very careful checking them out. After all, if I only want to hear 'happy' tales I can read a sales brochure.

Also, the more people who contribute to this board, the more useful it becomes and if people can do this without receiving criticism concerning their posts the more others will be encouraged to contribute.

#4 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by busylizzy on 16/5/2010 at 04:03

I agree with both of you. Reading the negative reviews can be very helpful at times - and hopefully it just might help improve the service or whatever at the hotel.

If the critical post is made by someone who has been involved in the forum for some time, I would (generally) tend to take some notice of it. On the other hand, when the criticism is from a first-time (and only-time!) poster, it definitely has less credibility and I would take the comments with a grain of salt. (Is it just made by someone with a vendetta against the hotel? It is posted by a competitor? Is there someone grudge?) It could be a valid view, but I need more context to be able to consider it seriously.

Mwags - it would be good to hear about some other experiences that you have had - good and bad!

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Vxh on 16/5/2010 at 11:11

I agreed with mikethediver, any reviews/opinions is valid as long as you tell the whole story.

busylizzy, similar to Mwags, I personally am not very active on the forum because I do not have any story; however, I have had bad experiences that was so bad that I had to make an account just to share my point on something. Personally, there is no one that would go though the trouble of taking the time to create an account just to write a bad reviews unless it's valid enough...face it, peoples are lazy, and the fact that the Mwags took the time to create an account just to review something, personally I would take that advice a bit more serious than a usual traveler with thousands of reviews, those are usually all the same...With that in mind, keep them reviews coming guys, don't criticize everything you read guys, believe it or not is up to you.

#6 Vxh has been a member since 7/4/2010. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.