Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Night market in Hanoi

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

Has anyone here experienced the night market in Hanoi's old quarter? Is it interesting? Are there any tours that cover the market?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 6/5/2009 - 10:04

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Tours are not necessary to see that market - it's open air and one just walks on by. There have been problems there with bags being slashed open, but I was there in March, and noticed a fair number of uniformed police scanning for thieves. I believe it operates only certain nights - Sunday night is especially busy. It's very interesting, but don't expect to find anything of great quality there. I have one or two pictures of the market on my blog at:
    http://sea2009.travellerspoint.com

#2 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 00:45

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Thanks for sharing what you experienced. Search results revealed that most commodities there are imported from China. Anyway, we just hope to pick up some locally made things, and will watch out for thieves as well.

#3 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 11:41

• waterbeo

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

Hi. I'm Hanoian. Night market is operated on weekend only, in a part of old quarters - the busiest treets. Yes, most goods there are from China - like all other places in VN :(. Anyway, the youth love going there. As they're selling cheap things, funny things for teens. It's not a shopping place - I think - just to see the ordinarary life. It will be very crowded. Remember to watch your purse.

#4 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 21:23

• waterbeo

Joined Travelfish
    7th May, 2009

P/s: It's somewhat of our culture. We love to gather in market, open air. We walk, seeing things and people around, buying things - small things, not precious, and talking and most of all- bargaining. They go to the market to bargain, and happy if they can buy something they think that it's cheaper than it should be. Really Vietnamese love the crowd. There's nothing special at the market, just a place we can find funs. :) Hope you'll find something interesting there.

#5 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 21:28

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Hi. Thanks a lot for informing us of your culture and we highly appreciate it. Hope to know more about your country after our trip.

#6 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 09:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Stop the pickpockets in Hanoi\'s Night Market ... By FootprintVn on 3 Jan 2012 21 3698 12 Jan 2012
Suan Lum Night Market is it still there? ... By kkswan on 23 Jul 2009 4 1645 24 Jul 2009
Trang Night Market ... By Chicagojosh85 on 1 Dec 2012 3 1923 2 Dec 2012
Chanh Hung Night Fish Market ... By archiebaby on 18 Sep 2007 0 1598 18 Sep 2007