Vietnam forum

Hotels below 20$ in central Saigon?

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

We're looking for hotels in Saigon for our summer holiday. We prefer those in the city center at not more than 20$/room/night. Any advice?

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 09:56

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Rebecca

Have you tried Travelfish???

http://www.reservations.bookhostels.com/travelfish.org/findabed.php?ChosenCountry=Vietnam&ChosenCity=Hanoi

If you go there, you'll see a tag 'Update search', click that and enter your dates.

If you also select by 'type' rather than price, you may find that better.

But, please don't expect the prices listed to represent what the hotel / GH actually wants.

For example, Hanoi Lucky Hotel advertises a room at $12, but the cheapest they will go down to (at the moment) is $22.

I've stayed there and its quite acceptable. Go look:

Several have recommended Hanoi Boutique as being OK.

- - -

I've also stayed elswhere for cheaper. But in saying that, its because I've walked up and negotiated.

Currently, if you book online, you'll pay top dollar. If you walk up and negotiate, if the hotel is on that day empty, they'll do a deal to get your bum on their bed. So, unless you arrive at 8pm and are really tired, you often have to do some walking around to get a good rate.

cheers

Bruce

#2 Posted: 7/5/2009 - 10:25

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

For that price I don't think you can beat the Bich Duyen Hotel in the Pham Ngu Lao backpacker area. For about $18. you get a windowless room w/breakfast and for a few dollars more the room w/window and breakfast. The place is super clean and micro-managed by the wonderful Chanh (a legend in his own time if ever there was a hotel manager!)

A very special place that you will hate to leave!

#3 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 01:07

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Oops! You are talking about hotels in Hanoi, not those we're looking for in Saigon! Anyway, many thanks.

#4 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 08:51

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Sorry Rebecca

Travelfish also addresses Saigon:

http://www.reservations.bookhostels.com/travelfish.org/findabed.php?OrderBy=property_type,%20hostelname&PropType=

But, the comments I said about Hanoi also apply to Saigon. Pre-booking means paying top dollar.

Sometimes, I pre-book one night (to ensure a bed) and then go look for the days I'm there - after booking in. That way, I'm assured of a bed, and can choose what I want after that.

Again, apologies, cheers

#5 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 09:20

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

There are plenty of rooms to be had for $10/$12 all with A/C, Cable TV and Hot Water - though you won't find any online at that price.

Just turn up in Saigon and when the mob of touts greet you, start playing them off each other and you should be able to knock a few $$$'s off the prices they're quoting.

If you book online, you normally end up paying over the odds.

#6 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 16:40

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Thanks. I don't think it's a good idea to book online. However, frankly I'm not very good at bargaining, either. Moon's suggestions may help.

#7 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 11:00

• luvmedic

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 5

TheGoose is right, just make yourself a target for the touts, and you will be spoilt for choices. Walk around Pham Ngu Lao, De Tham, and Bui Vien. You will bound to find something you like.

#8 Posted: 16/5/2009 - 16:45

• anhluc

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2009

The Hotel Cathay is a local class 3-star hotel in District 3 just a block or so away from District 1. I have stayed there twice, with my children on both occasions, so it is safe and clean. The set breakfast menu is alright, but you will probably want to go elsewhere if you want really good food.

Most of the points of interest are a close taxi ride away and it was easy for all of the taxi drivers to get us back home. I'm not much of a walker, but I would think that many points are within a reasonable walk. I recall us not paying more than $25 a night - but I think it was closer to $22, and what was nice was for a smaller hotel, the still accepted my credit card. I like playing and then paying.

#9 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 12:42

• stanang

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009

Hi! I was able to read your posts and I was wondering if there are other suggested accomodations that you may recommend. I am also looking for cheap hotels that me and my friends can stay at. I liked the post about Hotel Cathay since it was mentioned that it is easy to go to different places there. Are there other hotels within that location, to have more options?

#10 Posted: 24/5/2009 - 18:07

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

stanang

I'll repeat the above for you...

Travelfish has a list of accommodation in Saigon:

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/vietnam/saigon_and_surrounds/ho_chi_minh_city/ho_chi_minh_city/all

If you go there, you'll see a tag 'Update search', click that and enter your dates.

If you also select by 'type' rather than price, you may find that better.

But, please don't expect the prices listed to represent what the hotel / GH actually wants.

Currently, if you book online, you'll pay top dollar. If you walk up and negotiate, if the hotel is on that day empty, they'll do a deal to get your bum on their bed. So, unless you arrive at 8pm and are really tired, you often have to do some walking around to get a good rate.

cheers

#11 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 07:13

• stanang

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009

Thank you very much Brucemoon. I'll check that site.

#12 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 21:22

• rebeccafarr-
    ent

Joined Travelfish
    2nd May, 2009

Good idea, Moon.

#13 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 12:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good advice Bruce

I hate pre-booking. For me I like the fun of finding a place. Whenever I travel I never know where I will stay until I get there. I do have one advantage, though, and that is most of the time I am on my motorcycle so I can get around a lot quicker.

#14 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 01:15

• travworld

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2007
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 2

I stayed at the Thang LOng Hotel in dist 1 , it was on Mac Thu Muoi street , just around the corner from Sheraton Hotel , they have a elevator and breakfast incl in the price , the rack room rates posted in the lobby were 24.00 , and well i booked online thru hotels-in-vietnam.com and paid about 25.00 with tax and credit card fee . They also have a sister hotel across the street , and are actually just 2 blocks from the River . You can stay there and visit all the nice food places that are a few mins walk away . Allot of Australians stay there and even found a couple that decided to stay there for a year , i was only there for 3 nights and got a small room with fan/ a/c and mini bar , with a european bathroom for what i paid . I will stay there again before i leave.

#15 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 10:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can anyone recommend central Phi Phi hotels with aircon minus bedbugs? ... By rledez1990 on 11 Jun 2013 9 1816 17 Jun 2013