Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc Island, a good place to visit in June?

• mindy

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2009

Hi, sorry if someone has already asked this question - I went through the threads and didn't see it.

I am planning on visiting Phu Quoc Island for a few days before I return to the United States. I would be staying on the island in mid-June for 3 days or so. This is the beginning of the rainy season so I know there will probably be a down pour a day for a bit and therefore its the off season. I've found out though that some hotels are closed down for renovations during that time. So, I'm beginning to wonder if its a bad time to visit the island.

Is Phu Quoc still a good place to relax and enjoy the beach in June? I've contacted two highly rated (and affordable) hotels and they both said that they'll be closed. I'm waiting for a response from a third and I'm going through the reviews for the others (some don't look too promising).

Any advice? Has any one been on Phu Quoc island in June? I don't mind rainy days at the beach - I just want some place pretty where I can relax but I can't afford the more expensive hotels.

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 09:59

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Mindy

Travelfish at:

http://www.travelfish.org/orientation/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/phu_quoc_island

Has this to say...

"When to go?

Phu Quoc and the surrounding area enjoy a distinct wet and dry season. The best time to go if you're seeking clear skies and warm weather is between eary November and late April. At this time of the year the waters on the west coast of Phu Quoc are often blisfully calm.

The wet season, from May to late October gets moderate to heavy rain throughout -- expect to see at least some rain, most days. However, as with monsoon seasons across the region, rainfall is characterised mostly by a couple of hours of heavy rain rather than all day drizzle. During a previous visit in the height of wet season, we had four days of uninterupted glorious sunshine and not a drop of rain till the last day.

The wet season also sees rougher seas, with Long Beach catching the brunt of it, but the east coast beaches, like Bai Sao are crystal clear and calm. These rougher seas can play havoc with the ferry timetable as the boats don't run in rough weather. One day of very bad weather can see the boats not running for three or four days afterwards, so if you're travelling to Phu Quoc in wet season, consider flying there from Rach Gia or Saigon."

Also the Travelfish map at:

http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/phu_quoc_island/92

shows the host of accommodation sites, and, Travelfish at:

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/phu_quoc_island/all

shows how to contact the accommodation options.

I don't know where you contacted, but if you followed the Travelfish advice and looked at the various options, many have websites & email addresses. I'd just try all those first.

Also, every site has a telephone number, even a phone call from the US wouldn't cost too much (Skype?) to be sure to get a place that appears OK.

Hope this helps.

cheers

#2 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 14:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Good place to visit (3 days) after a week in Koh Lanta ... By elisekn on 3 Feb 2011 2 2337 3 Feb 2011
Anyone stayed at Thanh Quoc (Phu Quoc Island) ... By Roody82 on 4 Dec 2008 3 4010 5 Dec 2008