Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi accommodation

• Evahu_210

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

Hi, all!

I’ll be alone traveling around Vietnam in late May for 10days, I have the following questions:
    1. I’ll arrive in Hanoi airport at 10:00pm and wonder if there is still any airport shuttle bus to go into downtown of Hanoi (the Ho Hoan Kiem area)? Sine it would be pretty late when arriving there, is easy to find guesthouse then? (I don’t wanna book the accommodation in advance via internet) Any recommendation?
    2. From where to exchange for VND for a higher rate? Airport, Bank or stores?

Many thanks for your kind reply.

#1 Posted: 9/5/2009 - 21:38

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Evahu_210

1. Hanoi - Old Quarter - probably not.

2. Accomnmodation at 10pm++, yes, BUT. Just pre-book ONE night in a place - go to:

http://www.reservations.bookhostels.com/travelfish.org/findabed.php?ChosenCountry=Vietnam&ChosenCity=Hanoi

If you book one night, you avoid some idiot tout trying to waste your time looking at overpriced accommodation. If you don't like the place, then go and look around the next day.

3. Exchange? Try using an ATM to withdraw - you'll get an OK price. Never use an airport exchange, always the worst rate.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 13:24

• muggel

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

we had been in the Old Quarter, Bat Dan 19:Return Hotel. Small, high budget hotel, very friendly and honest owner familiy, payed 18 USD incl. small breakfast served in our Twinroom.

The room is very clean, newly renovated, also the bathroom, new, hot shower.There was TV and cooler in the room, filled with softdrinks and beer , that costs the "normal price" like in the supermarket.
    Tel. is 844 9233350 and 0912082309 email: info@returnhotel.com

This hotel is not a hotel, everybody is talking about, so, I think, there will be a real good change, to get one of these 4-5 rooms. Look at tripadvisor, there are 2 of my photos in my review.

#3 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 18:34

• Evahu_210

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

Thanks a lot for your useful suggestions. Cheers!

#4 Posted: 10/5/2009 - 18:55

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I agree that it's best to book at least one night since you're arriving late - you can also have the hotel pick you up. I like the Hotel Especen on Tho Xuong Street near the Catholic Cathedral ($25. for a huge room w/balcony - I loved this place for the location, room and staff).

I just use ATM's for cash. Arriving so late, you could possibly have trouble exchanging cash at the airport (another reason to have the hotel pick you up since that goes right on your hotel bill - no cash required). It's a fair distance from the airport into town - minimum 45 min at that late hour.

#5 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 02:29

• Evahu_210

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009

I'll take your advice! Many thanks!

#6 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 12:09

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Absolutely.....book the first night in advance. I've had no problems having someone from or hired by the hotel pick me up at Noi Bai. As Brucemoon said, if you then don't like the place, you have the next morning to look around. And in Hoan Kiem/Old Quarter, plenty of places to look around at.

Happy Trails!

#7 Posted: 17/5/2009 - 10:09

• anhluc

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2009

As far as exchange, you will get the best exchange rate at the stores selling gold jewelry. Fortunately they are normally clustered together so poke your head in one and ask their rate and step next door just to assure you are getting a good deal. Last month the best I got was 19,000 dong for the US dollar and the worst was 18,200. It depends on your location also. If you are out in the hills expect a lower exchange rate. Also, make sure your bills are clean, fresh and free of any marking and wear and tear. You also get a better exchange rate the larger the bill you exchange.

#8 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 12:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.