Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Domestic flights in Vietnam

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

We're wondering about flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city. Vietnam Airlines seem very reputable. What about Jetstar and Indochina Air? Anybody has experienced these brands?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 14:41

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've flown Vietnam Airlines a few times -- no complaints whatsoever. You will though probably get a cheaper fare with Jetstar (An Australian/Vietnamese operated business) and they're also a good deal easier to book online than Vietnam Airlines.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 16:06

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Flown Jetstar 3 times in the last 3 months in and around Vietnam, and have 1 more flight booked for a month from now. No complaints at all so far, although some Vietnamese people told us to avoid them for safety reasons and pay the extra $ to fly Vietnam Airlines. Jetstar's record seems fine to me though.

#3 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 18:55

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

From my experience (2 trips to Vietnam) you're just asking for problems if you don't fly Vietnam Air! I would never fly Jetstar again, EVER!

#4 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 00:44

• a114

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2009

Just got back from a trip to Vietnam and used both Vietnam Air and Jetstar. I would definitely recommend Vietnam Air over Jetstar any day. My Jetstar flight, along with all the other flights headed to my destination for that day via Jetstar, were canceled and I missed an international connection because of it. It was not due to any weather related condition as all the Vietnam Air flights were leaving on time. No explanation was given for the cancellation other than they did not have a plane at the airport at that time and could not get one till the next day. The Jetstar staff pretty much refused to help with my situation in the slightest. They would not even contact the company my connecting flight was with to let them know we would be late and see if we could reschedule the missed flight. They offered no refund, reimbursement, or even an apology.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 07:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

daawgon -- what happened?!

#6 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 08:14

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Very unhappy to hear about your bad exeperiences with Jetstar. However, it's easy to book online, while Vietnam Airlines seems more difficult.

#7 Posted: 13/5/2009 - 14:30

• anhluc

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2009

Vietnam Airlines is a bit difficult on-line and actually not all flights are even listed. Do this and you will love yourself later. Contact a Tour Operator in Viet Nam. I used Ngoc with More Fun Travel last month and she took care of everything even pulling the right strings to get me a hard to book flight over the Reunification Day holiday. You will not get 'taken' or 'cheated' if you use Ngoc - I'll personally guarantee it. And in addition you'll have the flights you want when you want them. Just a side note - that same holiday I mentioned, the Jet Star counter had several locals up in arms over something. They are a discount carrier - look at the prices Vietnam Airlines, for what they are offering doesn't get much more discount. Don't risk it - go Vietnam Airlines.

#8 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 12:54

• amazon_blon-
    de

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2008
    Total reviews: 9

I travelled on Vietnam Air in March 2009 and way back in the day (2001). No problems either time. In March, we were bumped, however, it was a minor thing. When we reconfirmed two days prior one of the many flights between Hanoi and SGN had been cancelled and we were on the flight one hour later. It was so not a big deal and we could have gone one hour earlier than our original flight. But, please, RECONFIRM YOUR FLIGHT.
    FYI - The ticket was slightly more expensive that Jetstar, but Vietnam Air had a much better excess baggage policy, something we were concerned about because we were carrying an extra 15kg of climbing gear. They didn't charge us anything for it. This is the biggest reason we fly major carriers. We flew Jetstar from Sydney to BKK and ended up paying over $200 extra for baggage whereas none of Thai, BKK Airways, Laos Airways, Vietnam Air ever charged us for being somewhat over.

#9 Posted: 18/5/2009 - 23:29

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

As amazon_blonde infers, extra baggage charges ARE an increasingly profitable component for low cost carriers. Jetstar is one of the worst, but they are not alone.

Increasingly, ALL carriers are weighing/sizing luggage - not just low cost carriers.

So, when you turn up to the check-in with additional luggage, the airline is in the winning position - and many cash in big time. To avoid being ripped off by an airline, make sure you buy the extra baggage weight / size at time of purchase (if you are going to need it). When you purchase the extra baggage / size option at the time of buying your ticket, its always way way cheaper.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 19/5/2009 - 07:29

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Just for your info, Business Class is available on several Vietnam Air flights (they often fly wide bodies between HAN and SGN - 777 and 333) and it is a real bargain on these domestic routes.

#11 Posted: 19/5/2009 - 10:43

• lexkssnbrg

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2009

Hi all, thanks very much for the info. Trying to book VN Air now.

#12 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 12:10

• laallee

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

im finding it impossible to book online with vietnam airlines from the uk, the site will not accept any c/c. any ideas?
    thanks, lee.

#13 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 04:26

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

laallee

Above, at #8 anhluc suggests a solution.

From a google search, the tour operator's website appears to be:

http://www.funinvietnam.com/

Cheers

#14 Posted: 9/6/2009 - 06:41

• laallee

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

bruce
    thanks bruce, its all sorted now. its alot easier dealing with a vietnam travel agent than a u.k one.
    not long now.....
    lee.

#15 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 17:23

• MissJanie

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009

Vietnam Airlines is good, others always delay, change. But they are all safe :)
    For the price, you can get a lowest price for a seat on VN airlines if you have an early reservation.
    I choose Vietnam Airlines.

#16 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 19:51

• laallee

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

hi, i managed to get seats for $35 flying nha trang to danang, dont know and i dont really care if its the right price as its got to be better than a train journey or bus. all done via a vnn travel agent as the vnn airlines website would not accept my c/c
    lee

#17 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 20:09

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

laallee

Great to hear you had success with your VN travel agent.

Sometimes, things just work out fine!!! and then life is sweet!!!

Cheers

#18 Posted: 11/6/2009 - 08:13

• pinoytravel-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

Try VietJetAir. I have not tried it yet but perhaps it is worth giving a try.

This is what I found while surfing the net last year:

VietJet Air is a new low-cost start-up in the Vietnamese market, following a series of setbacks that pushed back the official launch by four years. Unlike Jetstar Pacific, which is a local Qantas/Jetstar joint-venture, VietJet Air is fully Vietnamese-owned. On 25 December, the airline launched its first service, linking Hanoi (HAN) and Ho Chi Minh City (SGN). The route will be served with a thrice-daily frequency using a leased A320 aircraft. VietJet Air will face competition from all Vietnamese carriers – Vietnam Airlines offers 17 weekly flights, followed by Jetstar Pacific with ten flights a week and the regional Air Mekong providing four weekly frequencies.
    Another article talks about their airfare:

VietJet Air to take off next month
    VietJet Air announced it would begin domestic flights from December 25, four years after it gained approval to become a privately owned airline in Viet Nam.

The low cost operator said it had scheduled daily return flights between HCM City and Ha Noi at 12.10pm and 5.30pm at a cost of VND900,000 each way.

The airline will also fly HCM City-Da Nang from February with tickets VND455,000 one way.

The airline's four-year delay in takeoff was due to the global economic crisis.

VietJet Air will be the fifth airline to operate in the domestic market besides Viet Nam Airlines, Jetstar Pacific, Air Mekong and Vasco.

VietJet Air was the first Vietnamese private airline to get a licence but Indochina Airlines and Air Mekong, licensed in 2008 and 2009, were able to establish services earlier.

However, Indochina Airlines has been grounded since November 2009.

Air Mekong took off in 2010 and focused on flying to under-served destinations.

VNS
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

I suggest you visit their website: www.vietjetair.com
    Pinoytraveler

#19 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 03:45

• pinoytravel-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

@Amazon_blonde

I agree with you 100% since I have the same experience with premium airlines like Singapore Airlines and Vietnam Airlines. They never charged extra for the excess baggage. But it is a shame that other premium airlines are not as nice when dealing with passengers' excess baggages.

On the contrary, budget airlines like Air Asia and Jetstar will strictly ensure that you pay excess baggage fee if you cross the prescribed limit. But I think it is only fair to give them the opportunity to augment their income after selling a cheaper ticket to passengers.

Every year I fly with the Philippine budget carrier, Cebu Pacific Airlines, from Ho Chi Minh City to Manila and I always pre-book excess baggage when purchasing the ticket to avail of the big discount of up to 70%.

Pinoytraveler

#20 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 04:10

• Triguy

Joined Travelfish
    10th March, 2013

Hello, I'm traveling this summer to Vietnam and am planning to do a few domestic flights within the country. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me an update as to the current options and opinions regarding flights. What's the general consensus regarding travel with jetstar and vietjet? Thanks

#21 Posted: 24/5/2013 - 02:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
domestic flights in Vietnam ... By deco on 14 Jan 2012 17 3203 21 Jan 2012
Domestic flights ... By georg066 on 8 Jan 2014 3 415 9 Jan 2014
domestic flights ... By klomper on 7 Feb 2011 2 2724 8 Feb 2011
Domestic flights ... By potta_boro on 12 Sep 2011 1 1376 12 Sep 2011
Domestic Flights ... By BT82 on 3 May 2008 2 2900 11 Jun 2008
Domestic flights and booking ... By Thinwhiteduke on 28 May 2009 2 1830 29 May 2009
Domestic flights - in advance or while I'm there ... By akhetan on 30 May 2011 1 3014 30 May 2011
Translation please. Booking domestic flights ... By SBE on 28 Sep 2012 12 1911 1 Oct 2012
Domestic Flights - whats the deal? ... By katie304 on 17 Aug 2007 8 3284 21 Aug 2007
domestic flights bangkok to chiang mai ... By monikaundsandra on 13 Oct 2009 2 1833 13 Oct 2009