Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Domestic flights in Vietnam

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 11/5/2009 at 14:41

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

We're wondering about flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city. Vietnam Airlines seem very reputable. What about Jetstar and Indochina Air? Anybody has experienced these brands?

Thanks.

#1 lexkssnbrg has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 53

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/5/2009 at 16:06 admin

I've flown Vietnam Airlines a few times -- no complaints whatsoever. You will though probably get a cheaper fare with Jetstar (An Australian/Vietnamese operated business) and they're also a good deal easier to book online than Vietnam Airlines.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by DLuek on 11/5/2009 at 18:55 TF writer

Flown Jetstar 3 times in the last 3 months in and around Vietnam, and have 1 more flight booked for a month from now. No complaints at all so far, although some Vietnamese people told us to avoid them for safety reasons and pay the extra $ to fly Vietnam Airlines. Jetstar's record seems fine to me though.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,121
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by daawgon on 12/5/2009 at 00:44

From my experience (2 trips to Vietnam) you're just asking for problems if you don't fly Vietnam Air! I would never fly Jetstar again, EVER!

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by a114 on 13/5/2009 at 07:49

Just got back from a trip to Vietnam and used both Vietnam Air and Jetstar. I would definitely recommend Vietnam Air over Jetstar any day. My Jetstar flight, along with all the other flights headed to my destination for that day via Jetstar, were canceled and I missed an international connection because of it. It was not due to any weather related condition as all the Vietnam Air flights were leaving on time. No explanation was given for the cancellation other than they did not have a plane at the airport at that time and could not get one till the next day. The Jetstar staff pretty much refused to help with my situation in the slightest. They would not even contact the company my connecting flight was with to let them know we would be late and see if we could reschedule the missed flight. They offered no refund, reimbursement, or even an apology.

#5 a114 has been a member since 18/2/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/5/2009 at 08:14 admin

daawgon -- what happened?!

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 13/5/2009 at 14:30

Very unhappy to hear about your bad exeperiences with Jetstar. However, it's easy to book online, while Vietnam Airlines seems more difficult.

#7 lexkssnbrg has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 53

Posted by anhluc on 18/5/2009 at 12:54

Vietnam Airlines is a bit difficult on-line and actually not all flights are even listed. Do this and you will love yourself later. Contact a Tour Operator in Viet Nam. I used Ngoc with More Fun Travel last month and she took care of everything even pulling the right strings to get me a hard to book flight over the Reunification Day holiday. You will not get 'taken' or 'cheated' if you use Ngoc - I'll personally guarantee it. And in addition you'll have the flights you want when you want them. Just a side note - that same holiday I mentioned, the Jet Star counter had several locals up in arms over something. They are a discount carrier - look at the prices Vietnam Airlines, for what they are offering doesn't get much more discount. Don't risk it - go Vietnam Airlines.

#8 anhluc has been a member since 15/5/2009. Posts: 32

Posted by amazon_blonde on 18/5/2009 at 23:29

I travelled on Vietnam Air in March 2009 and way back in the day (2001). No problems either time. In March, we were bumped, however, it was a minor thing. When we reconfirmed two days prior one of the many flights between Hanoi and SGN had been cancelled and we were on the flight one hour later. It was so not a big deal and we could have gone one hour earlier than our original flight. But, please, RECONFIRM YOUR FLIGHT.
FYI - The ticket was slightly more expensive that Jetstar, but Vietnam Air had a much better excess baggage policy, something we were concerned about because we were carrying an extra 15kg of climbing gear. They didn't charge us anything for it. This is the biggest reason we fly major carriers. We flew Jetstar from Sydney to BKK and ended up paying over $200 extra for baggage whereas none of Thai, BKK Airways, Laos Airways, Vietnam Air ever charged us for being somewhat over.

#9 amazon_blonde has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 116

Posted by brucemoon on 19/5/2009 at 07:29

As amazon_blonde infers, extra baggage charges ARE an increasingly profitable component for low cost carriers. Jetstar is one of the worst, but they are not alone.

Increasingly, ALL carriers are weighing/sizing luggage - not just low cost carriers.

So, when you turn up to the check-in with additional luggage, the airline is in the winning position - and many cash in big time. To avoid being ripped off by an airline, make sure you buy the extra baggage weight / size at time of purchase (if you are going to need it). When you purchase the extra baggage / size option at the time of buying your ticket, its always way way cheaper.

Cheers

#10 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by daawgon on 19/5/2009 at 10:43

Just for your info, Business Class is available on several Vietnam Air flights (they often fly wide bodies between HAN and SGN - 777 and 333) and it is a real bargain on these domestic routes.

#11 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 29/5/2009 at 12:10

Hi all, thanks very much for the info. Trying to book VN Air now.

#12 lexkssnbrg has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 53

Posted by laallee on 9/6/2009 at 04:26

im finding it impossible to book online with vietnam airlines from the uk, the site will not accept any c/c. any ideas?
thanks, lee.

#13 laallee has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 46

Posted by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 06:41

laallee

Above, at #8 anhluc suggests a solution.

From a google search, the tour operator's website appears to be:

http://www.funinvietnam.com/

Cheers

#14 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by laallee on 10/6/2009 at 17:23

bruce
thanks bruce, its all sorted now. its alot easier dealing with a vietnam travel agent than a u.k one.
not long now.....
lee.

#15 laallee has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 46

Posted by MissJanie on 10/6/2009 at 19:51

Vietnam Airlines is good, others always delay, change. But they are all safe :)
For the price, you can get a lowest price for a seat on VN airlines if you have an early reservation.
I choose Vietnam Airlines.

#16 MissJanie has been a member since 10/6/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by laallee on 10/6/2009 at 20:09

hi, i managed to get seats for $35 flying nha trang to danang, dont know and i dont really care if its the right price as its got to be better than a train journey or bus. all done via a vnn travel agent as the vnn airlines website would not accept my c/c
lee

#17 laallee has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 46

Posted by BruceMoon on 11/6/2009 at 08:13

laallee

Great to hear you had success with your VN travel agent.

Sometimes, things just work out fine!!! and then life is sweet!!!

Cheers

#18 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by pinoytraveler on 18/1/2012 at 03:45

Try VietJetAir. I have not tried it yet but perhaps it is worth giving a try.

This is what I found while surfing the net last year:

VietJet Air is a new low-cost start-up in the Vietnamese market, following a series of setbacks that pushed back the official launch by four years. Unlike Jetstar Pacific, which is a local Qantas/Jetstar joint-venture, VietJet Air is fully Vietnamese-owned. On 25 December, the airline launched its first service, linking Hanoi (HAN) and Ho Chi Minh City (SGN). The route will be served with a thrice-daily frequency using a leased A320 aircraft. VietJet Air will face competition from all Vietnamese carriers – Vietnam Airlines offers 17 weekly flights, followed by Jetstar Pacific with ten flights a week and the regional Air Mekong providing four weekly frequencies.
Another article talks about their airfare:

VietJet Air to take off next month
VietJet Air announced it would begin domestic flights from December 25, four years after it gained approval to become a privately owned airline in Viet Nam.

The low cost operator said it had scheduled daily return flights between HCM City and Ha Noi at 12.10pm and 5.30pm at a cost of VND900,000 each way.

The airline will also fly HCM City-Da Nang from February with tickets VND455,000 one way.

The airline's four-year delay in takeoff was due to the global economic crisis.

VietJet Air will be the fifth airline to operate in the domestic market besides Viet Nam Airlines, Jetstar Pacific, Air Mekong and Vasco.

VietJet Air was the first Vietnamese private airline to get a licence but Indochina Airlines and Air Mekong, licensed in 2008 and 2009, were able to establish services earlier.

However, Indochina Airlines has been grounded since November 2009.

Air Mekong took off in 2010 and focused on flying to under-served destinations.

VNS
____________________________________________________________________________________

I suggest you visit their website: www.vietjetair.com
Pinoytraveler

#19 pinoytraveler has been a member since 18/1/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by pinoytraveler on 18/1/2012 at 04:10

@Amazon_blonde

I agree with you 100% since I have the same experience with premium airlines like Singapore Airlines and Vietnam Airlines. They never charged extra for the excess baggage. But it is a shame that other premium airlines are not as nice when dealing with passengers' excess baggages.

On the contrary, budget airlines like Air Asia and Jetstar will strictly ensure that you pay excess baggage fee if you cross the prescribed limit. But I think it is only fair to give them the opportunity to augment their income after selling a cheaper ticket to passengers.

Every year I fly with the Philippine budget carrier, Cebu Pacific Airlines, from Ho Chi Minh City to Manila and I always pre-book excess baggage when purchasing the ticket to avail of the big discount of up to 70%.

Pinoytraveler

#20 pinoytraveler has been a member since 18/1/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by Triguy on 24/5/2013 at 02:55

Hello, I'm traveling this summer to Vietnam and am planning to do a few domestic flights within the country. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me an update as to the current options and opinions regarding flights. What's the general consensus regarding travel with jetstar and vietjet? Thanks

#21 Triguy has been a member since 10/3/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.